• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Norfolk birding (6 Viewers)

Titchwell April 2nd

Today's highlights

Peregrine - 1 still present
Med gull - 2 adults on the fresh marsh this afternoon
Greenshank - 1 on tidal pool

From chatting to a few people recently I thought I would also include in my updates some background on what is happening on the reserve. If you find it of use let me know and I can do it more regularly.

The water levels on the fresh marsh have now been lowered ready for the breeding season. The high winter levels have killed off the vegetation and they are looking ideal for nesting avocets. Levels will be maintained into mid April then lowered again as the spring waders start to move.

Carpark scrub - we have been clearing back a small amount in the carpark to allow better access for coaches. Vehicles are much bigger these days and turning has become an issue. We have also cleared a small amount of vegetation that has been encroaching onto the access road.

Monitoring hides - you may notice two new structures in the reedbed and east bank. These are to allow us visibility over the reserve. Sadly there is no visitor access to these.

Paul

Hardley Duck!

Caught up with Daffy today at Hardley Staithe (best pic from Brian Tubby)
Several Short-eared Owls and Kingfishers too!
Nice to meet my BF 'stalker' Carol B and her husband, too! LOL!

Attachments

• Ring Necked Duck.jpg
    Ring Necked Duck.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 136
  • RND 2.jpg
    RND 2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 93
  • SEO5.jpg
    SEO5.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Bittern flyby

Took the dog for a walk (6.00 pm ish)and heard an unusual squawk over head, looked up to see a bittern flying over head (going south). Then heard another squawk and saw 2 more flying just ahead of the first .

Watton area :t:

Took the dog for a walk (6.00 pm ish)and heard an unusual squawk over head, looked up to see a bittern flying over head (going south). Then heard another squawk and saw 2 more flying just ahead of the first .

Watton area :t:

A great sighting for you Brammer. Never seen a Bittern yet, but I have been close to seeing one several times over the years

One day o:) ....and I will be delighted

Last edited:
1st yr caspian / yellow legged?

Hello

I photographed this gull (feeding on a dead rabbit) from the car whilst leaving Buckenham Marshes yesterday afternoon (5:30pm). My first thought was caspian but I'm not sure.

Al

Attachments

• YC2a.JPG
    YC2a.JPG
    973.3 KB · Views: 191
  • YC3a.JPG
    YC3a.JPG
    673.6 KB · Views: 177
  • YC1a.JPG
    YC1a.JPG
    934 KB · Views: 155
  • YC4a.JPG
    YC4a.JPG
    553.8 KB · Views: 101
My first impression based on the wing-patterning and size relative to the Carrion Crow is Great Black-backed Gull.

Hello

I photographed this gull (feeding on a dead rabbit) from the car whilst leaving Buckenham Marshes yesterday afternoon (5:30pm). My first thought was caspian but I'm not sure.

Al

Hi Jim - have enjoyed reading your blog, recently. With regard to the Black Redstart, I have tried twice to see it recently, since this posting, thank you :) , but no joy...will let you know if my hubbie Rob and I strike lucky . Best wishes. :t:

An excellent afternoon exploring the patch and (slightly) further afield with our own Songkhran. I will write this up on the blog properly at some point, but to summarise we investigated some decent looking habo around Wood's End down to Whitlingham sewage works, encountering a nice group of nervy Redwing and various Tits in the scrub. Looks ideal for an October session round here. Church Marsh held Woodcock and Marsh Tit, and finishing at Claxton we both clapped eyes on a patch mega- a Black Redstart. Absolutely buzzing after this find! The bird spent its time flicking around the roof of the Beauchamp Arms pub. The marshes looked stunning in the evening light and we were treated to great views of Barn Owls and a Short-eared Owl. I was glad Josh was able to join me- his positive vibes no doubt had a part to play in our final play of the day!

Cheers,
Jim.

Never seen a Bittern yet, but I have been close to seeing one several times over the years

One day o:) ....and I will be delighted

Kathy! All you need do is go to Minsmere and spend an hour in Island Mere Hide! Nothing in life is certain, but a Bittern from IMH comes close!

Attachments

• reflections.jpg
    reflections.jpg
    975 KB · Views: 76
Female type Redstart on the edge of Dersingham today with a Ringtail hen harrier over the fields between Dersingham bog and Snettisham RSPB. Ray Roche

Kathy! All you need do is go to Minsmere and spend an hour in Island Mere Hide! Nothing in life is certain, but a Bittern from IMH comes close!

Really, must have a look - never been to Minsmere yet (part of the list of reserves to visit) :-O

What is the best time of year to see them?

Hooded crow?

There were two of these in the fields behind East Runton.

Attachments

• HC1a.JPG
    HC1a.JPG
    758.6 KB · Views: 178
  • HC2a.JPG
    HC2a.JPG
    624.3 KB · Views: 158
Bitterns

Kathy! The time is .... NOW! :)
These photos were taken on Friday
David

Attachments

• Bittern.jpg
    Bittern.jpg
    927 KB · Views: 90
  • Bitt Stickle.jpg
    Bitt Stickle.jpg
    850.1 KB · Views: 93
  • Bittern 2.jpg
    Bittern 2.jpg
    976.8 KB · Views: 77
A few warblers have arrived at last on the North Coast. Had my first blackcap and sedge warblers of the year and amazingly my first singing chiffchaff ( had a wintering bird back in early March ) this morning. This is the first time I have not heard a chiffchaff until April , usualy hear the first in mid March and they are in full swing by now.

Kathy! The time is .... NOW! :)
These photos were taken on Friday
David

Love to David, but I have medical issues, and a major operation coming up so that is how it is for me at the moment until the end of April (my Menorcan Thread for 2015 explains everything)

Never mind will have to be patient for the time being

Going to a lightweight talk about Bumblebees at Priory Park in Bedford this Wednesday evening so I will attend that instead...so I am out and about still. :-O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back