• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Norfolk birding (23 Viewers)

Anyone know where the best place in Norfolk to see Bullfinches at this time of year, i havent seen any for a while. thanks eco

Anyone know where the best place in Norfolk to see Bullfinches at this time of year, i havent seen any for a while. thanks eco

Well, they're around all over the place but not always easy to find - especially when you want to!

I see them with much more regularity in the Wensum Valley than I have ever done anywhere else in the county, though that's not to say there aren't better places. I regularly see them at Swanton Morley fishing lakes (park on the road, walk in and walk round the largest lake taking care not to get in the way of the anglers - it's their land and they don't have to allow birders in). I haven't been to Sparham Pools much lately but I used to see them most regularly there - the most reliable site I've ever known for them I think. I used to see them most often close to the car park (though not usually in the car park itself) - begin to walk round the pools in either direction, but you may not need to go far. Further up the valley Sculthorpe Moor seems to be a good place for them - I've often seen them from the hides, especially from the hide that's on the left as you walk down towards the river. I've also seen them in flight along the hedgerows as I drive round the lanes such as between Sculthorpe and Bagthorpe, or Amner to Shernborne, for example. On the coast Titchwell is a good place for them - often see them along the Meadow Trail.

I trust you're familiar with their call. If not listen to them online so that you become so, as they're often most easily picked up on call first.

Fabulous Day's Birding including: 30+ Snowbuntings and 50+ Turnstones at Salthouse, Great Grey Shrike at Fakenham, 2 Coues's Arctic Redpolls along with Lesser and Mealy Redpolls at Kelling and LEO in mid Norfolk!

See blog for full update.

Penny:girl:

Load of Bull(finch)

the best place in Norfolk to see Bullfinches at this time of year

Don’t know about the ‘best’ place, but Wells Woods was a safe bet earlier in the winter. However, they (6-8) now seem to be ranging further from their normal abode, just east of the Dell.

Walsey Hills NOA often holds a pair.

I don’t know how familiar you are with this species, but bear in mind that these birds are very shy- often flitting away, before you see them. I know that sounds ridiculous (moi?), but you then hear and see them perching some distance away, having made soft and mournful flight calls. At ‘this time of year’, they are often feeding on the ground, from which you similarly flush them.

Below is my best effort from last month, illustrating just how close one cannot approach.

Attachments

• 027pse1.jpg
    027pse1.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 112
I echo the suggestion of Titchwell meadow trail too. We often comment over how they are almost guaranteed there in our experience. There were 3 in the same area as YBW when it was present late November.

How 'good' a bird is Black-throated Diver for Norfolk (and Slav Grebe). Me and some friends had a Bt Diver & 3 Slavs on the sea off Salthouse last wkend and I wondered if it was worth sending in.

James

How 'good' a bird is Black-throated Diver for Norfolk (and Slav Grebe). Me and some friends had a Bt Diver & 3 Slavs on the sea off Salthouse last wkend and I wondered if it was worth sending in.

James

James its a VERY good bird for Norfolk and I would suggest will need writing up note wise. Good record.

Ranworth

By no means rare, but fascinating to come across a very large Peregrine 'seeing off' 4 Marsh Harriers at Ranworth at lunchtime. Lots of lovely Siskins too!

Attachments

• Big Falcon.jpg
    Big Falcon.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 92
  • Raptors.jpg
    Raptors.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 116
  • siskin2.jpg
    siskin2.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 81
I echo the suggestion of Titchwell meadow trail too. We often comment over how they are almost guaranteed there in our experience. There were 3 in the same area as YBW when it was present late November.

At least 2 pairs wintering this year. Best places are the Meadow Trail as already mentioned but they are often feeding in the coach parking area where there is little disturbance

James

Great find James! The last person to report a Black-Throated Diver on here (Back in October at Winterton) received no end of abuse for it, they are considered that rare!
Can't remember who it was though.....

Have sent the record in so hopefully it finds its way into the report. How many records are there typically in a year?

I've had 3 definite BTD and 1 probably (too distant) since October. They are not quite as rare as hens teeth but its a great find! As is Slav Grebe for that matter.

I've seen a couple by the railway bridge on Thains Lane, East Runton, over the last week, very nervous birds though, only views from a way off.

I was watching a number of bullfinchs yesterday at sculthorpe nature reserve

Always a great place for them, the first hide which looks over the marsh has proven the best place for me in the past.
The Northern Bullfinch last winter was rather special.

Hi all

Anyone got any photos of the Whitlingham Ferruginous? I saw it today whilst doing my (week-late) WeBS count and as I was trying to count the other ducks present I didn't give it the attention it deserved. However, to me the head shape didn't seem to ring quite true? Seemed too peaked on the forehead, and rather angular around the back of the head? This shows up on Justin's photo on http://yarevalleywildlife.synthasite.com/bird-photos-2012.php too?

On the other hand, other features looked good, including the wing bar in flight as it flew off to Thorpe broad (when relocated there it was much more distant unfortunately).

Definitely wouldn't claim to be an expert on Aythya hybrids, and I'm not saying it definitely isn't a pure bird. Would just be good to see some better pics if any are out there.

Cheers

Andy

I saw this bird today and thought in had a very slightly squared-off crown compared to other Fudge Ducks which I've seen in recent years which have all had the more classic rounded head profile. However, those were all adults and this being a 1st winter may account for the slight difference in structure. The white on the undertail was a bit messy and to my eyes didn't 'glow' pure white but maybe this is an age thing too. Its bill was spot-on regarding shape and markings and the general deep chestnut plumage tone looked fine.
Overall, I was happy with the birds id. Any other comments?

P.S There was also an Aythya hybrid present which superficially resembled a female Scaup but upon closer inspection appeared to be a Scaup X Pochard.

Last edited:
I got to Kelling a bit too late yesterday but did meet Penny and Firstreetjohn. Unfortunately there were plenty of Lessers but the Arctic disappeared just before I got there.

However I got there early this morning and managed a few images of one of the Arctics.

John

Attachments

• Arctic Redpoll 2238.jpg
    Arctic Redpoll 2238.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Arctic Redpoll 2233.jpg
    Arctic Redpoll 2233.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Arctic Redpoll 2229.jpg
    Arctic Redpoll 2229.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 137
I got to Kelling a bit too late yesterday but did meet Penny and Firstreetjohn. Unfortunately there were plenty of Lessers but the Arctic disappeared just before I got there.

However I got there early this morning and managed a few images of one of the Arctics.

John

nice shots :t:

I'm hoping to get over there tomorrow, is access straight forward? Also is it better to get there early if I can?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back