• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Lancashire Birding (10 Viewers)

Went in search of the Firecrest after school today which had been seen in the morning at Stanley Park. Although the bird didn't show whilst I was there Me and a couple of mates recorded 21 Goldcrests between the feeders at the north end and the bridges seperating the lakes (250 metres or so). This was a definate number and the most I have ever seen in one place together, and it wouldnt surprise me if there were more than skulking around in the undergrowth. Shows that they haven't been too affected by the hard winter!

Putting to one side how the Goldcrest count can be so precise does anyone know who reported the Firecrest? I understand Paul Ellis received a text but didn't know who it was from.

Stephen

Putting to one side how the Goldcrest count can be so precise does anyone know who reported the Firecrest? I understand Paul Ellis received a text but didn't know who it was from.

Stephen

Nobody knew who had put the news out whilst I was there and at the bird club meeting last night no-one said that it was them.

Maybe I should have used the word minimum rather than definate to describe the number of goldrecests seen. Me, Ash and Aaron started of on the cycle path by the golf course where the feeders are, then walked south along the path to the bridges, counting all of the goldcrests that we saw and making sure we didn't count the same ones twice, and the count we got was 21 including a flock of 6 and a flock of 5.

Lesser Scaup still present on the junction pool at Marshside pool today, a lifer for me o:D also 50+ Avocet and 2 Merlin

Escaped White Stork at Pilling this afternoon, small red ring on its left leg which means that it is probably one of the birds from harewood house in yorkshire.

juvenile White Fronted Goose in fields at Backsands Lane, Pilling this afternoon

Went up for a second go at the Shore Lark at Carnforth, stood around for an hour in the face of a strong sea breeze with no luck until a couple who had joined me decided to walk to the other end of the rocks resulting in the little beggar flying into the open, whistled them to come back and promptly lost it again, but not for long,watched it for a good twenty minutes on and off before it disappeared again, Life Tick.
A fine wheatear for a year tick too, then of to the pools where the spotted Redshank was feeding at the back, some fine looking summer plumaged Godwits on show with a single Dunlin, Peregrine mooching about as well, up to Leighton where Treecreeper, Nuthatch and Goldcrest were knocking around the Feeding area, good selection of Ducks around and Marsh Tit and Great Spotted Woodpeckers to end the day

Frank

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sleipnerofasgard/

coming back from Cumbria having seen nothing of interest as we approached Ormskirk I thought I saw a White Stork in a field - when we got home I asked Shell who also saw it "yep - that was it!" pointing at the Collins guide - bollocks - if anyones anywhere near please tell me it was a big plastic bird scarer and not a half glimpsed mega rarity!

coming back from Cumbria having seen nothing of interest as we approached Ormskirk I thought I saw a White Stork in a field - when we got home I asked Shell who also saw it "yep - that was it!" pointing at the Collins guide - bollocks - if anyones anywhere near please tell me it was a big plastic bird scarer and not a half glimpsed mega rarity!

Won't it be the escaped bird that was in Pilling yesterday?

Stephen

Shorelark

Went up for a second go at the Shore Lark at Carnforth, stood around for an hour in the face of a strong sea breeze with no luck until a couple who had joined me decided to walk to the other end of the rocks resulting in the little beggar flying into the open, whistled them to come back and promptly lost it again, but not for long,watched it for a good twenty minutes on and off before it disappeared again, Life Tick.

Frank

Hi Frank

Could you give us some pointers as how to find the area the Shorelark is in, I know how to find the station and Leighton Moss but that about it.

Cheers

Tim.

I've just completed a couple of posts on my blog, one showing some photos of Avocets from Marshside at the weekend, and the other showing a series of photos of a pair of Black Tailed Godwits fighting on the same day. If you want to take a look the link is in my signiture.

Hi Frank

Could you give us some pointers as how to find the area the Shorelark is in, I know how to find the station and Leighton Moss but that about it.

Cheers

Tim.

Depends where your coming from, from Leighton head towards Carnforth and just after scout cragg caravan park look out for a sharp left turn and take the road going right on that corner, head down to the stock car track and park outside then walk right round along the keer till you see the small bench on the rocks and that is the general area

Frank

Depends where your coming from, from Leighton head towards Carnforth and just after scout cragg caravan park look out for a sharp left turn and take the road going right on that corner, head down to the stock car track and park outside then walk right round along the keer till you see the small bench on the rocks and that is the general area

Frank

Cheer Frank, have looked up the stock car track and they very kindly have sat nav directions on their web site. Looks like I head for Sand Lane.

Fingers crossed now for some decent weather this Saturday and that the bird hangs around till then.

Tim.

Last lesson of school today (Poulton Le Fylde) I was on the top floor of the highest building of my school and had a good view out over a quite large area. At 14:30 I noticed a large bird of prey coming in from the south and immediately all of the gulls and crows in the vicinity went up to mob it, as it got closer I could see that it was in fact an Osprey! It was mobbed by the gulls for 3 minutes before shooting off NE towards the river wyre. It was following a very obvious migration route as over the course of 50 minutes watching I had 106 small birds moving along the same path (2 wagtail, others seemed to be meadow pipits and finches). My first Swallow of the year also took this path.

We had an english exam for 2 hours in the morning so the teacher thought she would give us a relaxing lesson, which suited me just fine :-O

Also looking out of the Window when I am supposed to be working... The waxwings are still coming to the same tree on London Road Preston.

I thought they would have gone back by now.. :eat:

Pendle Hill

Sunday 3rd April

Pendle House area, towards Big end: 2 Wheatear, Swallow

Pendle Hill Nr Pile of Stones (Scout memorial): 30+ Golden Plover

Worston Moor (Pendle Hill): 4 Wheatear

Pendleton Hall Farm: 20+ Common Gull, 30+ mixed flock of Lesser Black Backed / Greater Black Backed Gulls

I was amazed to see that my local Coot pair on the pond at Carleton Crematorium had hatched 2 young chicks today, with the female still sitting on at least 1 more egg which should hatch soon. This seems like a very early date for them to already have young, as the other pairs on my patch have yet to even lay eggs!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back