• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Lancashire Birding (11 Viewers)

45 mins at Stanley Park yesterday morning produced sightings of 2 x Great Crested Grebes, 10+ Tufted Ducks & 2 juvenile Grey Herons (one of which was fishing in what looks like total squalor).

This morning on the beach at Cleveleys (near the Royal) were approx 20 Oystercatchers. This pm we've had 30+ House Sparrows in the garden along with about a dozen Goldfinch - & two Collared Doves who seem to be trying out new ways of copulating, shame I didn't have the speed of thought to zoom out & fit them both in frame |:$| .

Regards

Cliff
The collard pic is superb...thanks for putting it up........!

Spent yesterday morning up at Heysham and called in at Conder on the way home.

Not much to report at Heysham but did manage to to pick out a Med Gull.

Conder was a little better with a Spotted Redshank, Wood Sandpiper and a Snipe amongst the Curlew and Redshank. Also 2 Little Grebe on the pool.

Derek

Spent yesterday morning up at Heysham and called in at Conder on the way home.

Not much to report at Heysham but did manage to to pick out a Med Gull.

Conder was a little better with a Spotted Redshank, Wood Sandpiper and a Snipe amongst the Curlew and Redshank. Also 2 Little Grebe on the pool.

Derek
Not a bad few days out,never seen a wood sandpiper or a red grouse re your other day.Brockholes this morning......nothing out of the ordinary...so spent my time practicing me hand held digi scoping techniques..!Some pics below.!

Attachments

• DSCF4589.JPG
    DSCF4589.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF4595.JPG
    DSCF4595.JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 47
  • DSCF4628.JPG
    DSCF4628.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 50
Conder was a little better with a Spotted Redshank, Wood Sandpiper and a Snipe amongst the Curlew and Redshank. Also 2 Little Grebe on the pool

Hi Derek - I also spent a couple of hours at Conder pool on Monday (morning), it was very windy & had me wishing I'd dug my fleece & gloves out. A kind chap with a scope let me have a look at the Wood Sandpiper, which was a *first for me (*the first was seeing a Wood Sandpiper not meeting a kind chap), I took a few distant shots but will keep them to myself. In addition to the sightings mentioned by Derek there were a couple of Common Sandpiper, a Kingfisher, 2 Cormorant, 2 Grey Herons, 2 Kestrel & 10+ Long-tailed tits.

Moving swiftly along to today I managed an hour in the rain at Marton Mere this afternoon, sightings of note were 1 x Sparrowhawk, 2 x Grey Heron, 6 x Shoveler, 15+ Tufted Ducks, 4 x Pochard, 10+ House martins, 10+ Sand Martins, 1 x Great Crested Grebe.

I've attached a few photos from today

Regards

Cliff

Attachments

• greyHeron_020909d.jpg
    greyHeron_020909d.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 51
  • houseMartin_020909b.jpg
    houseMartin_020909b.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 53
  • sandMartin_020909a.jpg
    sandMartin_020909a.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 53
  • shoveler_020909d.jpg
    shoveler_020909d.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 49
  • tufty_020909aa.jpg
    tufty_020909aa.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 59
Great pics

Moving swiftly along to today I managed an hour in the rain at Marton Mere this afternoon, sightings of note were 1 x Sparrowhawk, 2 x Grey Heron, 6 x Shoveler, 15+ Tufted Ducks, 4 x Pochard, 10+ House martins, 10+ Sand Martins, 1 x Great Crested Grebe.

Regards

Cliff[/QUOTE]

Once again great pics. HOW did you manage that???... rain and such poor light conditions, I can never 'pan', match speed and aperture and all I ever get is a blur! Terrif... any tips? (save up and buy some quality gear!)

Cliff, If you can try get to Marton Mere around 6-6:30 in the evening. Peregrine coming in from Staining is there quite alot now, seems to appear when Starlings and Wood Pigeons are preparing for roost on the telegraph wires over towards Staining.

Might be heading there this weekend to see if I can capture her on film. Determined to find out where abouts in Staining she is constantly seen on a pylon, along with juvenile.

Hi Derek - I also spent a couple of hours at Conder pool on Monday (morning),

Regards

Cliff

Cliff,

Well done with the Wood Sandpiper, I saw my first the other week at Marshside where it was much easier to photograph.
Saw the Long Tailed Tit flock but missed out on the Kingfisher, its been a while since i've seen one, I know should drag myself up to Meresands Wood.

Love the Sand Martin shot so hard to get, I've been trying to get some good shots of the Swallow in the field across from me all summer, they fly within feet of you if you just sit there, but nothing worth posting so far.

Derek

Once again great pics. HOW did you manage that???... rain and such poor light conditions, I can never 'pan', match speed and aperture and all I ever get is a blur! Terrif... any tips? (save up and buy some quality gear!)

Thanks Gradders :t:, my camera gear is mainly at the budget end of the range, but I get by, mainly by taking lots of photos then deleting 95% of them, the joys of digital.

Cliff, If you can try get to Marton Mere around 6-6:30 in the evening. Peregrine coming in from Staining is there quite alot now, seems to appear when Starlings and Wood Pigeons are preparing for roost on the telegraph wires over towards Staining.

Thanks for the tip Neil, I'll have to give that a try sometime, although I'm usually picking the missus up from work around the time you mention - but it would be cool to see a Peregrine on our local patch.

Moving onto todays sightings, half an hour at Marton Mere in the breezy conditions this lunchtime didn't prove too fruitful, I think everything was keeping out of the wind. The main sighting of note was all the House Martins, there were loads of them, I wouldn't know where to start trying to count them, a conservative estimate would be 30+.
In addition there were 2 Pochard, 6 Tufted Ducks, 4 Shoveler & 2 Cormorant.

I've attached a couple of photos, along with a few from the garden which include a juvenile Goldfinch nibbling at my Himalayan Silver Birch, I've never seen one doing that before.

Regards

Cliff

Attachments

• goldfinch_040909a.jpg
    goldfinch_040909a.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 52
  • goldfinch_040909b.jpg
    goldfinch_040909b.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 42
  • houseMartin_040909f.jpg
    houseMartin_040909f.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 53
  • shoveler_040909a.jpg
    shoveler_040909a.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 51
  • starling_040909a.jpg
    starling_040909a.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 49
Video Camera

Hi Derekg,
I'm using a Sony HVR-V1 which I guess sits in the prosumer category meaning it was fairly expensive. Pros - 20* optical zoom. Cons- lens is not interchangeable. For wildlife you'll need as big an optical zoom as you can get. I would say at least 20*.
If I had the money I'd be getting myself a Sony PMW-EX3 which amongst other things has slow motion capabilities but I don't have 7grand going spare at the moment!(ever!!)

Kwyll - thanks for the link, I thought the only Ribble Bore went in my local!
Nice clip didn't know the Ribble had one though I've see the Severn one on the TV before.

Fraser - cheers for the information, think I'll keep my son away from this thread and the 7G price tag.
I was thinking of something with a good optical, will have to keep looking and maybe pick something up on ebay.

Derek

PS - popped over to Hoylake to see the Sabine's Gull, must say well worth a visit as there's plenty to see along the beach. At least 300 Ringed Plover the short time I was there.

A couple of weeks ago I went to Foulshaw Moss to try and get some Osprey footage and failed. On the way back from the viewing platform I almost stumbled over these Grey Wagtails.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uqZOxk3WSE

Do we get to see the 'out-takes'?

Not only great 'film', but great editing too. Very good Fraser. What software you using? Is that music copyrighted? (Joking, loads of stuff out there I know).

LITTLE TERN/Fairhaven

Little Tern at north end of Fairhaven Lake, but obviously on the sea side of the wall on incoming tide yesterday... you probably have about three/four hours to get there, for those who have not seen Bird Guides, already heard etc'. High Tide is about 13.00.
Cheers
g
bottom right in photo, BHG for size comparison.
Moves fast and horizontal rain... not easy!

Attachments

• Little Tern.jpeg
    Little Tern.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 59
My bird of the day,possibly the month.......a gannet on the ribble at longton marsh...!:t:And a great black back gull.........!

Attachments

• DSC00124.jpg
    DSC00124.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC00057.JPG
    DSC00057.JPG
    83.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Fraser - cracking video footage. I've just looked up your camera on the net, wow - that's a serious looking piece of kit. FM is one of my favourite locations btw - although I tend to go there for dragons & slow worms etc.

Gradders - nice one getting the Little Tern :t:, that's another bird I've never seen.

Kwyll - well done re. the Gannet, not a bird I've ever seen around here, it would definitely be my bird of the month too. :t:

Yesterday I had a few hours at Leighton Moss in the rain & the gloom. I spent most of my time in the Eric Morecambe hide keeping dry;
there were 8+ Little Egrets, 4 Greenshank, 100's of Redshank & Lapwing with Godwits interspersed amongst them, 1 x Buzzard, 1 x Kestrel, 1 x Grey Heron, 2 x Cormorant, a dozen or so Greylag geese, 2 x Wigeon, 6 Teal & 1 x Kingfisher.
Oh - & driving home on the A588 near Pilling a flock of approx 100 Curlew flew directly overhead.

I've attached a few photos, including one of a Redshank (one of about 4 or 5) that was swimming, I've never seen Redshank doing that before - they flew in & landed in the water then off they swam.

Regards

Cliff

Attachments

• littleEgret_050909b.jpg
    littleEgret_050909b.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 43
  • littleEgret_050909x.jpg
    littleEgret_050909x.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 49
  • greenshank_050909b.jpg
    greenshank_050909b.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 42
  • redshank_050909b.jpg
    redshank_050909b.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 47
  • greyHeron_050909a.jpg
    greyHeron_050909a.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 42
Great shots WyreWader. Isaw a Redshank doing the same thing at Leighton Moss a few months ago. I haven't seen them do it anywhere else.

Editing Software

I'm using Sony Vegas 8.0 editing software. The music is under the Creative Commons Licence from Jamendo.com . Not sure if it was the right choice for these clips but I needed to put something on as the native sound left a little bit to be desired.
Foulshaw never ceases to amaze me every time I go , such a massive area right on my dooorstep . I only discovered about 2 years ago.

Snow Geese at Grange-over-Sands!!!

Neil and I were looking out over Morecambe Bay today - around 1.30pm - behind the train station at Grange-over-Sands and four geese flew overhead. I looked up and casually scanned them with my bins, expecting them to be Canada Geese, and I was gobsmacked to see that two were Snow Geese!!! I didn't get a chance to see what the other two were as they flew off over the station roof out of sight :smoke:

Are these escapes/feral/genuine wild birds blown over by Hurricane Bill? Any ideas? And, most importantly, are they tickable? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back