• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Grimley and Holt (5 Viewers)

Saw 74 species at Grimley & Holt today. The highlights were 2 Grey Partridge in the Holt area, Hobby over the river, 2 Wheatear on Church Farm Meadows and Little Egret, Yellow Wagtail and a couple of Dunlin at Camp Lane Pits. Ed

Surely most people realise that, without management interventions, all eutrophic wetlands will eventually revert to woodland via scrub, pioneer woodland (usually Birch and Willow) and then, through progressive drying out via transpiration and litter accumulation, to climax woodland.

While I agree that, in the interests of diversity, it is good that some reserves are allowed to pursue this trajectory one size does not fit all. If you want to retain diverse healthy, nutrient-rich wetlands they need to be managed. This has always been the case - e.g. the traditional reed cutting for thatch in the Norfolk Broads (which were originally created by generations of peat-digging) .

Last edited:
Surely most people realise that, without management interventions, all eutrophic wetlands will eventually revert to woodland via scrub, pioneer woodland (usually Birch and Willow) and then, through progressive drying out via transpiration and litter accumulation, to climax woodland.

While I agree that, in the interests of diversity, it is good that some reserves are allowed to pursue this trajectory one size does not fit all. If you want to retain diverse healthy, nutrient-rich wetlands they need to be managed. This has always been the case - e.g. the traditional reed cutting for thatch in the Norfolk Broads (which were originally created by generations of peat-digging) .

Or the council could make it into a park with boating, fishing and swimming.

It's not about 'management' per se, there is virtually no un-managed area in Western Europe and the top of the Cairngorms is probably the only area that qualifies in the UK.

I have worked in 'habitat' management of one sort or another for a good deal of my working life and well know that, in a crowded country and not getting any less, that areas need to be managed to obtain a range of habitats.

My point, and that of others, is it can be carried out without having the signs and detritus of management for all to see. There is no need for piles of fencing or plastic flapping in the breeze or signage everywhere - this tends to happen with formal reserves? Hides can mean feeders and rubbish? By all means tweak with various aspects of the place in order to improve the habitat for everything thus benefiting the birds but it can be done with a light touch allowing a 'wild-ish' feel to the place, that's not such a bad thing is it?

Laurie:t:

Sure some things are not ideal but bitching from the sidelines ain't helping anyone. If you were to suggest some positive alternative solutions then the decision makers might take them seriously. However, that would obviously take some kind of effort and a modicum of diplomacy. Much easier sitting at home doing the keyboard warrior thing, eh?

Nobody is doing the 'keyboard warrior' thing, Dave, and i class my comments as constructive criticism. I see no problem with Grimmers as it is and that has been my point. Some discreet habitat planting of hedges and control of the water levels when applicable is all that is needed at present imo. I personally do not like to visit areas that have visually intrusive aspects of habitat management because they haven't been thought out and or haven't been carried out to a decent standard. If certain species stop to breed then fine they either get on with it or do not, i wouldn't molly-coddle, as long as they replace themselves in their lifetime the status-quo, for them has been maintained.

I would be more concerned about the new dwelling, its residents and quite what they think having a house built there allows them to do?

I have spent a working lifetime 'rolling my sleeves up' and have been a 'citizen scientist' as it is now trendily called for 45 years. The keyboard is merely another tool in addition to all the others that i have. If u wish to be sent a copy of my CV i would be more than happy but only in return for a Lesbos trip report:eek!: I presume you went?

All the best;)

Oh and Dave, with regard to 'positive and alternative decisions' - none have been made, not because any negativity but because i don't see a need for any at present? Just because an area is not being 'managed' doesn't mean that it is in urgent need of any.

I don't actually know who makes any decisions on what work is carried out there anyway. I presume all work at present is carried out by contractors? Quite what happens now that extraction has finally finished remains to be seen.

Visited Grimley last night and saw the 3 Black tailed Godwits, also spotted 2 Redshank and a particular pair of Mallard of which the female was leucistic. Down the lane leading from the triangular grass road island before you get to the entrance gates there was a dead Mink (I think... mink that is, I know it was defo dead 3:) ) it was tucked up in the verge on the left hand side as you walk down, if anyone passes it could they confirm its ID for me. Have looked online and don't think I have overlooked any other possible animal.

Many thanks,
GC :t:

A pity, the unfortunate method of recording the spread of both Otter and Pine Marten is by reported roadkills. We would all rather it not be that way but.....It is also a good way of dispelling the 'Big Cat' theory, no road-kills no 'theory'. Habeas Corpus rools;)

Err....newsflash, Laurie!! I'm not interested in your CV or anything you've done in the dim and distant past. The fact that you think I would be just illustrates the level of your conceit as far as I'm concerned. Instead of offering up endless criticisms ('constructive' or otherwise) why don't you go and contribute something positive in the present tense instead of constantly reliving the past. If you did that it would probably be worth reading about.

Spent a couple of hours at camp lane pits this evening.

Highlight was the 3 Black-tailed Godwits which in the evening light were a real pleasure to watch.

In addition I had 35 species which included 1 Dunlin, 2 LRP, 2 redshanks, 2 oystercatchers, lapwings, terns, etc etc

starting to see large numbers of chicks as well.

Last edited:
Evening visit to the camp lane pits only, 34 species including dunlin ,lesser ringed plover, bt godwits which were stunning in the evening sunshine ,redshank and some cracking little grebes .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back