• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Brown Eared Pheasants at Xuan Zhong Monastery - China (1 Viewer)

Frogfish

In Search of Brown Eared Pheasants at Xuan Zhong Monastery
29th & 30th August 2013

Day 1 : Brown Eared Pheasants
It seems so long ago already, though in fact just 8 days ago, I was on a plane to Tai Yuan to go and find the Brown Eared Pheasant, not a difficult task I was led to believe, as they frequent the monastery 20 mins from Jiao Cheng, itself about an hour's drive from Tai Yuan.

As usual there is an hour's delay leaving Hong Qiao Airport, Shanghai, this is the norm though and to be expected since the military control 80% of air space in China and frequently deny commercial traffic access, causing delays until permission is given, due to manoeuvres (we can assume). The standard excuse given by the airlines is 'we are awaiting passengers on incoming traffic' . Yeah right ;)

Tai Yuan has a very nice new airport, though the price of coffee in their cafes is ridiculous ! Are all their passengers absolutely minted members of the new Middle Class or government cadres ? 78RMB (ca. US$13) for a cappuccino - no wonder 90% of the tables were empty. I can not fathom how these 'business-men' stay in business ! Have they never heard of Starbucks as a business model ? Still, as I found out on the way home, there is a KFC that, when you are desperate, does an OK substitute for less than 1/10 of that price !

Next up was to find a taxi to Jiao Cheng. There is a public bus but as I was trying to make this a 1.5 day trip instead of a 2.5 day trip (to assuage the missus) I had settled on taking a taxi. Hmmm no meters, the first guy sees an foreigner and tries for 400rmb, no compromise so exit said foreigner telling him he is joking. Finally the second driver settles on 300rmb and off we go.

The trip is uneventful, it's a lovely warm and sunny day and the young driver is pleasant enough. One very large slow flapping bird (not a heron), seen from the rear, was unidentifiable. There were also many, now deserted, huge nests on pylons along the way. Otherwise it was quiet.

The Guashan Hotel in Jiao Cheng was found easily and at 280RMB per night was more than adequate. The hot water needed to be run for 10 minutes before performing it's duty though ! Breakfast was included but was never an option :) There is a supermarket just 5 mins walk down the street (turn right after exiting the hotel car park) but the restaurant next door is expensive and lacking in simple meals, the menu full of exotic dishes.

So I arrived a little later than expected but after quickly unpacking and setting up my gear and change of clothes I excitedly went down to the hotel lobby to order a taxi. I waited 15 mins, then as the clock ticked past 30 mins (the reception had called the taxi company 3 times by now) my frustration was rising and then kicking my heels at the kerbside it was now 45 mins.
Luckily I entered into conversation with the security guard and when, a couple of minutes later, a few guys rolled out of the restaurant next door and one started to wander over, he pointed out this was the owner of the hotel.

The owner, slightly inebriated, started up conversation, it seems he was off to the UK the following week and eager to talk about my homeland. However, upon hearing of my taxi dilemma, he immediately got on the phone and called his driver .. 10 mins later I was in the back of his limo with orders having been given to take me to the monastery (20 mins) and wait for me (on arrival I knew I would be several hours so thanked the driver and let him depart). This kindness & eagerness to help was to be encountered a number of times in Jiao Cheng / Tai Yuan and is in quite some contrast to China's larger metropolises.

Upon arriving at the lower, larger & free, car park I started the walk up to the monastery on the mountain ahead. It's not far up this road, maybe 600m, but it gave me a chance to check out the valley on the right, with a stream flowing through it but, being well below me and there not being any paths down, no access. I was to look down and see a Nutcracker chasing off a Red Billed Magpie drinking from this stream the next day and would have loved to have wandered upstream from that point.

So straight up the winding road, past the 3 stalls selling drinks, snacks and souvenirs and the Tourist Centre, to the gate to the monastery. A few people, including monks, were milling around but of the Brown Eared Pheasants there was no sign and the monks said they had not seen them for 2 days.

Never mind, I loved being there, even with a few people around it seemed calm, peaceful and a delightful juxtaposition to Shanghai !

I watched a party of Japanese Buddhists & monks take photos with their Chinese counterparts and then wandered back down the path I came on to access the area below the monastery. Of the BEPs there was no sign or sound though a Plain Laughing Thrush skulled and then came into few for a few shots before disappearing again.
For what was to be the only time on the trip I decided to playback the BEP call … and instantly, to my amazement, BEPs responded immediately from deep in the undergrowth from both in front and behind me !

No need for playback now I moved closer to the small, now disused, bridge of the small copse below and sat down as low as I could get, the BEPs were now making their way past me (at about 5-10m) to the mountain side beyond. I soaked in their beauty and took maybe a hundred shots, alternating between the 50mm on one camera and 300mm on the other.
My main target already in the bag I would now explore the mountain paths (there are only two) and hope to encounter the BEPs again tomorrow in better light.

After failed attempts to find Long Tailed Rosefinches I walked the path back past the 3 shops and fortune teller, to the main car park. Oops, no taxis, no buses and in fact just no-one at all !

Nothing for it, it was 5 kms down to the main road (and I had, I over-estimated, an hour of light remaining) and would be a pleasant walk. Hopefully I could pick up a taxi on the main road rather than have to walk the remaining 5 kms to the hotel. However just 10 mins down the road I heard a car approaching, it must have come from inside the monastery, so I attempted to hitch a ride by holding my hand out – ignoring the plea it roared past …. only to screech to a halt 150m down the road and wait for me to catch up. I guess he noticed I was a foreigner and was trusting enough to believe I was not a foreign-devil intent on mass-murder or a cunning robbery ! 20 mins later he very kindly dropped me off right at the entrance to my hotel.

Food that evening consisted of snacks and drinks from the supermarket as I was not going to walk the 20-30 mins down the 6 lane (8 if you count the cycle lanes) main road to the town centre which is where the receptionists said there were more restaurants. That wasn’t a problem though, after a hot shower and preparing my gear for the morrow I was into bed (the room temperature was cool, in comparison to hot & humid Shanghai) and alarm clock set for 04.30 (I had made arrangements for a taxi, 40RMB, to pick me up at 05.00).

Photos of :
#1 Brown Eared Pheasant
#2 Chinese Hill Warbler

more to follow ....

Attachments

• Brown%20Eared%20Pheasant%20%231a-X2.jpg
    Brown%20Eared%20Pheasant%20%231a-X2.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Unknown%20XuanZhong%20%231_web-XL.jpg
    Unknown%20XuanZhong%20%231_web-XL.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Well, that serves me right don't it fella?! Good work...I hope migration on the Magic Isle is not being neglected by you lot?!

Day 2 - Zombies & Rosefinches

The taxi arrived on time and we were on our way a few minutes before 05.00

As we ascended the misty mountain a figure appeared out the gloom, stiffly walking up the road, then another, and another and another, more than 50 all told, some walking backwards, nobody talking. This was very weird ! The slow moving apparitions in the misty gloom reminded me instantly of The Walking Dead !

However nothing untoward had happened on the mountain overnight - the taxi driver informing me that it was just Buddhist zealots on their way to the monastery for a daybreak religious ceremony.

Stepping out at 05.15 I asked the driver to return by 17.00 so I could go back to the hotel, wash, change and checkout (I only pay for 1.5 days if checking out before 18.00). Then the same young driver & taxi from Tai Yuan would be picking me up for the return trip to Tai Yuan Airport, arriving in plenty of time for dinner and my 21.15 flight back to Shanghai.

Arriving at the monastery before sunrise it was calm and quiet all around, except for the gentle chanting and bell ringing of the monks at their early morning prays. I happily settled down next to a tree to await the dawn and waited expectantly. Red Billed Magpies, adults and juveniles, were the first to noisily appear flying into branches overhead and then over the monastery to some distant point that seemed to be calling to them.
Squirrels were raucously chasing each other, stopping when they noticed my inert figure, warily creeping closer to investigate and then, at 2-3m, their nerve failed them and they would scamper over the wall :)

Nutcracker calls reverberated off the surrounding mountain walls, with the odd flash of a white Nutcracker rump being the only visible sign as they were 100 - 150m away in the mountain treetops and virtually indiscernible in the still dim light.

All of a sudden there was the whoosh of wings and a Blue Whistling Thrush was sitting perched just a metre from my head – I must have inadvertently jerked backwards a tad because it noticed me immediately, the shock almost human, and it was off in an instant :)

Warblers, Coal, Great, Willow & Marsh Tits & Tree Sparrows started to appear in the tree canopies above & below, with the calls of other unknown species echoing around. But still no sign of the BEPs. After almost two hours, now after 07.00, I tried BEP playback for a couple of minutes, to a resounding silence, they were quite obviously not anywhere near the monastery.

The plan for the day had been formulated, after dawn I would follow the partly blocked off path close to the entrance of the monastery that leads to the ridge above the monastery (and to a lookout point with a watchtower that attracts visitors) and try to follow it around the mountain.

There was a hugely interesting valley (I had heard many calls and seen many, at that distance, unidentifiable birds far below in the canopy) off the right hand side of the narrowing (starting at ca. 2 m wide but narrowing to 0.5m around the mountain, before it peters out into just bush) path but the very steep tree & scrub covered drop-off to the valley bottom 200m below meant no way down unless you were a BEP or a four legged mountain mammal ! At the highest point I reached my altimeter said I was at 1,100m.

I was hoping, and expecting, Long Tailed Rosefinches on this ridge and although I had been disappointed the day before, now the sun had crested the mountain tops, I was in luck and, though few, was able to add them to the sparse list.

Nutcrackers were flying high above, to the valley over the next mountain, and the Red Billed Magpies were now screaming, literally, as they came up and over the ridge into the valley below.

I decided to move onto the next part of the plan and bird the sole path I had seen opposite the main car park. At this time my early morning fleece was no longer required and so the ladies tending the shops below agreed to let me stow it with them until I left that afternoon (they close at 18.00 on weekends). A bowl of hot beef noodles and some cold iced tea sent me sated on my way to the car park.

On the way I spotted a shrike, the only one I was to see the whole 2 days, sitting over the valley stream, about 100m away, on telegraph wires. It will be ID’d as either a Bull Headed or Tiger juvenile, either way a really pleasing spot !

The new path was to prove disappointing, a couple of vehicles bumped they way up and down but aside from a single Godlewski’s Bunting clinging to a rock face, a few Meadow Buntings and a couple of Rosefinches, nothing showed or was heard.

Retracing my steps past the car park I had an interesting 15 mins stopping to talk to two friendly monks, as we talked about the mountain, the birds, the visitors and the monastery throughout the different seasons, they also found my binoculars to be great fun ! One of them showed me a picture of a bird he had taken on his mobile phone, not from around the monastery but in a valley close by where he said humans almost never go …. it was very clearly a photo of a wild Golden Pheasant !

Before ascending the ridge behind the monastery again I decided to try my luck on down the little path off to the left as you leave the upper car park and climb to the 3 shops. There is a little copse with a tiny stream running through it – obviously much bigger when in flood in Spring. There is also a lot of rubbish down there (and the occasional Buddhist artifact), and the drains from the public toilets also empty into the stream here – so watch your step !

The trees, however, were alive with warblers. As I crept through the undergrowth on the barely noticeable path I crouched down just as a Nutcracker came down to drink from a tiny 0.5 high waterfall with small pools around it. Superb views but unfortunately 7 of the 10 metres between me and the Nutcracker were bush ! So not a single shot I’m sorry to say. After the Nutcracker left I got closer and into cover, hoping for a reprise, that was not to me but a Grey Wagtail came to feed and drink so I didn’t leave empty handed !

I followed the tiny stream to it’s conclusion, blocked by a high stone wall that led up to the bridge I had seen the BEPs on yesterday. At this point I heard a woodpecker tapping gently away for perhaps 10 mins but I was unable to spot it and unable to climb the steep sides of the gulley.

Returning the way I came I stopped for more Ice Lemon Tea from the ladies in their shops and nattered for 5 mins with the Fortune Teller (no he was not telling me about future bird spotting successes or failures) !

Back up on the ridge, as I sat crouched awaiting some action, I saw some tourists heading my way … and well ahead of them and intent on getting out of their way, a hare ! The hare dived off the path and into the scrub of the steep valley sides before I could get the camera on him, but he was a welcome and interesting interlude.

Finally, as the afternoon crept on, I decided to make my final visit to the monastery, however before I had even descended from the ridge who should come bursting forth from the bush, to both their and my great surprise, but 4 brown Eared Pheasants ! Well hello !
Being habituated to humans they did not immediately dive for cover but worked their way along the path and into the scrub on the steep valley sides, but not before giving me a rendition of (I suppose) their best territory defending calls :D

The trip was now near completion, the taxi arrived early and so I was back at the hotel according to schedule, despite the failure of 3 room cards I eventually got showered, packed and on my way. The Tai Yuan taxi (actually a newish Santana and not a true taxi this time) was also there very early and the driver instructed me to sit in the front ….. as his parents were in the back seat ! Introductions made the trip back took only 45 mins.

Unable to switch to an earlier flight I had dinner at a place I never eat at (KFC) but this time it filled a hole. After another, expected, delay (this time 90 mins) in taking off and 2 hours later we eventually touched down at Hong Qiao Airport, where my wife was waiting to pick me up, and 15 mins later I was home and enjoying a luverly cuppa tea and watching English PL football !

For most people I would recommend visiting the Xuan Zhong Monastery in late Winter / early Spring, since it seems the number of species, including some exciting birds such as various Rosefinch species, Siberian Accentor and Silver Throated Bushtit, and the chance of spotting them, is higher at that time.

The Birds (24 species)

Bunting, Godlewski's
Bunting, Meadow
Dove, Spotted
Greenfinch, Grey Capped
Hill-Warbler, Chinese
Kestrel, Common
Laughingthrush, Plain
Magpie, Red Billed
Nutcracker, Spotted
Pheasant, Brown Eared
Redstart, Daurian
Rosefinch, Long Tailed
Shrike, Bull or Tiger (TBC)
Sparrow, Tree
Thrush, Blue Whistling
Tit, Coal
Tit, Great
Tit, Marsh
Tit, Willow
Vinous Throated Parrotbill
Wagtail, Grey
Warbler, Dusky
Warbler, Yellow Browed
Warbler (sp.)

ALSO noted :
Woodpecker (sp. heard)
Golden Pheasant (on the Monk’s Phone – very interesting information perhaps)
Squirrels (Pere David’s Rock)
Hare (by a process of elimination most probably a Chinese Hare, Lepus sinensis)

Last edited:
Well, that serves me right don't it fella?! Good work...I hope migration on the Magic Isle is not being neglected by you lot?!

Haha - Hi Mark. Good to hear from you. Nope, Dev & I are off there tomorrow. Looking at last year's records it's just about time.

A few MP3 recordings for you to try you ear at if you want to have a go.

#1 to #5

I think #1 is the Plain Laughing Thrush and there are 2 birds in the 5th file :t:

Attachments

• 130830_0027.mp3
    979.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 130830_0028.mp3
    154.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 130831_0032.mp3
    537.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 130831_0033.mp3
    262.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Two Birds.mp3
    289.8 KB · Views: 46
A few more MP3 recordings.

#6 to #10

Attachments

• 130831_0034.mp3
    369.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 130831_0037.mp3
    111.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 130831_0039.mp3
    206.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 130831_0040.mp3
    219.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 130831_0043.mp3
    393.1 KB · Views: 52
A useful - and gripping - report Kevin. That pheasant is still my "most wanted" China bird!

Cheers
Mike

Thanks Mike !

A few more shots of the BEP and Grey Wagtail

Attachments

• Brown%20Eared%20Pheasant%20%234a_web-X2.jpg
    Brown%20Eared%20Pheasant%20%234a_web-X2.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 46
  • Brown%20Eared%20Pheasant%20%235-L.jpg
    Brown%20Eared%20Pheasant%20%235-L.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Grey%20Wagtail%20%231a_web-X2.jpg
    Grey%20Wagtail%20%231a_web-X2.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Grey%20Wagtail%20%233a_web-X2.jpg
    Grey%20Wagtail%20%233a_web-X2.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Grey%20Wagtail%20%232a_web-X2.jpg
    Grey%20Wagtail%20%232a_web-X2.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
nice report and photos Kevin,
i won't have time for this trip when i come to beijing next month, but it's whetted my appetite for chinese birds in general,
thanks,
James

Red Billed Magpie - juveniles

Godlewski's Bunting

Spotted Nutcracker

St Pere David's Squirrel

Attachments

• Red%20Billed%20Magpie%20%235a_web-X2.jpg
    Red%20Billed%20Magpie%20%235a_web-X2.jpg
    539.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Red%20Billed%20Magpie%202a%20%23_web-X2.jpg
    Red%20Billed%20Magpie%202a%20%23_web-X2.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Long%20Tailed%20Rosefinch%202_web-XL.jpg
    Long%20Tailed%20Rosefinch%202_web-XL.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 63
  • St%20Pere%20David%27s%20Squirrel%20-a_web-XL.jpg
    St%20Pere%20David%27s%20Squirrel%20-a_web-XL.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 43
  • Nutcracker%20%231a_web-X2.jpg
    Nutcracker%20%231a_web-X2.jpg
    388.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
And a few of the monastery and environs ....

1. Living quarters
2. Path to the ridge
3. Monastery detail
4. Religious artifacts by the side of the stream bed
5. View from the ridge looking down on the monastery (watch your footing if you try this) !

Attachments

• Xuan%20Zhong%20Monastery%20%231a_web-X2.jpg
    Xuan%20Zhong%20Monastery%20%231a_web-X2.jpg
    588.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Ridge%20Path%20-%20Xuan%20Zhong%20Monastery-a_web-X2.jpg
    Ridge%20Path%20-%20Xuan%20Zhong%20Monastery-a_web-X2.jpg
    694.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Xuan%20Zhong%20Monastery%20%232a_web-X2.jpg
    Xuan%20Zhong%20Monastery%20%232a_web-X2.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 35
  • Xuan%20Zhong%20Monastery%20%233a_web-X2.jpg
    Xuan%20Zhong%20Monastery%20%233a_web-X2.jpg
    635 KB · Views: 50
  • Xuan%20Zhong%20Monastery%20%236_web-X2.jpg
    Xuan%20Zhong%20Monastery%20%236_web-X2.jpg
    727.4 KB · Views: 36
nice report and photos Kevin,
i won't have time for this trip when i come to beijing next month, but it's whetted my appetite for chinese birds in general,
thanks,
James

Thanks James - nearly missed this since it came in between uploads :)

Next month is smack bang in the middle of migration so I'm sure you will score heavily !

Nice to read this Kevin, you've included interesting and useful details. Thanks for including the young magpie - interesting to see this age. Nice picture of the squirrel too! I don't think I've seen one this well, being they are both pretty rare where I've been and very skittish.

Last edited:
Great report Kevin,of a real adventure to see a real gem of a pheasant most of us will never see :t:

pretty sure your pic labelled Long-tailed Rosefinch isn't one though. Not sure what it is, but the bill shape and head pattern look more like a bunting to me, maybe imm Godlewski's or something?? Apologies if I'm wrong, but might be worth checking.

Great report Kevin,of a real adventure to see a real gem of a pheasant most of us will never see :t:

pretty sure your pic labelled Long-tailed Rosefinch isn't one though. Not sure what it is, but the bill shape and head pattern look more like a bunting to me, maybe imm Godlewski's or something?? Apologies if I'm wrong, but might be worth checking.

Thanks Larry !

And I'm sure you are right on the bunting, looks very much like Godlewski's (post above amended). Now to find the Rosefinch shots !

Great report and love the photos....that Pheasant has just moved to the top of my most wanted list!

Thanks

Dave

Incredible story Kev! Winter would be good for photographic opportunities but the bitter cold almost left my leg numb. I had to take refuge in the Souvenir shops every 10 minute. The guy was very helpful, he offered me hot water n even dropped me back @ the hotel.

Love the shot of Chinese Hill Warbler, the species which i briefly missed during my visit. Your woodpecker could be Grey-headed, they were common around there.

Thanks Gretchen, Dave, Dev and John (or was it Jemi) ? ;)

Much better, cuter, looking squirrel Gretchen than those we have in Shanghai !

Not a tough find Dave but one of the very few places you can find this rare bird.

You're right Dev, I wimped out on Winter and went when it was lovely and warm (8-10 at night to topping out at 25C during the day) :)
2 or 3 options for the woodpecker but you are probably right on Grey-headed. I really enjoyed the Hill-Warbler, it looks nothing like the picture in MacKinnons, it is so much more attractive and interesting, a lovely bird.

Thanks JJ - I have enjoyed reading trip reports on your blog a few times in the past, but at the moment my VPN is down and access is denied (as you probably know the Chinese censor any internet address with the word 'blog' in it) !

Good and very useful report, thanks,Kevin. I visit there Oct 3th. see fewer birds, there have some construction there. And it is too dry and noisy. I saw the first BEP on 6:25am, and then 2 group 7 BEP. see one on 14:10. about 500+ tourist visit there that day....Kai

0044# 褐马鸡×1 Brown Eared-Pheasant Crossoptilon mantchuricum
0050# 雉鸡×1 Common Pheasant Phasianus colchicus
0276# 珠颈斑鸠×5 Spotted Dove Streptopelia chinensis
0626# 红嘴蓝鹊×8 Red-billed Blue Magpie Urocissa erythrorhyncha
0648# 大嘴乌鸦×1 Large-billed Crow Corvus macrorhynchos
0787# 北红尾鸲×1 Daurian Redstart Phoenicurus auroreus
0862# 大山雀×3 Great Tit Parus major
0984# 黄腰柳莺×1 Yellow-rumped Warbler Phylloscopus proregulus
0988# 黄眉柳莺×3 Yellow-browed Warbler Phylloscopus inornatus
1025# 山噪鹛×3 Plain Laughingthrush Garrulax davidi
1264# 长尾雀×3 Long-tailed Rosefinch Uragus sibiricus
1306# 戈氏岩鹀×2 Godlewski's Bunting Emberiza godlewskii

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back