- Setophaga dominica
5½" (14 cm)
Grey, unstreaked upperparts, bright yellow throat, white belly, black face and fore-crown, white supercilium, heavy black streaks on sides.
Breeds from Illinois, Ohio, and New Jersey south to Missouri, Texas, Gulf Coast, and northern Florida. Occasionally it may stray, and even breed, as far north of its usual range as New York and southern New England. Winters from Gulf Coast states southward.
Three subspecies are recognized1.
- S. d. albilora:
- S. d. dominica@
- S. d. stoddardi:
- breeds along coastal Florida panhandle and adjacent Alabama
The subspecies albilora and stoddardi are sometimes seen as synonymous with dominica.
Forests of pine, cypress, sycamore, and oak, in both swampy places and dry uplands. This attractive warbler is usually found in live oaks draped with Spanish moss or in longleaf pines.
They often creep over the branches of the trunk like a Black-and-white Warbler.
Their main diet consists of insects and arthropods.
Their nest is a cup formed from grasses, bark strips and weed stems, lined with hair and feathers, which is often set in clumps of Spanish moss or among pine needles. The clutch contains four purple-spotted greenish eggs. There may be a second brood in south-east USA.
The form breeding in the USA uses a series of clear ringing notes descending in pitch and increasing in speed, rising abruptly at the end, teeew-teeew-teeew-teeew-tew-tew-twi.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2017. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2017, with updates to August 2017. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- BirdForum thread discussing the proposal to see flavescens as a full species
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved June 2018)
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Yellow-throated Warbler. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 2 December 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Yellow-throated_Warbler
GSearch checked for 2020 platform.