- Perdix perdix
- Relatively small headed and chubby
- Orange face and throat
- Green bill
- Grey legs
- White underbelly
- Chestnut horseshoe on lower breast
Similar to male, but duller
Breeds throughout Europe from the UK to Kazakhstan, and Scandinavia, with a patchy distribution in southern Europe.
Also found in parts of southern Canada (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba) and northern USA, where it was introduced from Europe, as a game bird and has thrived on the prairies and agricultural land.
There are 7 subspecies:
- P. p. perdix:
- British Isles and southern Scandinavia to Alps, Italy and Balkans
- P. p. sphagnetorum:
- P. p. armoricana:
- Locally in France
- P. p. hispaniensis:
- P. p. lucida:
- Finland east to Ural Mountains and south to Black Sea and northern Caucasus
- P. p. robusta:
- P. p. canescens:
Can be found on a wide variety of habitats, from farmland to moorland and sand dunes. Adults are more likely to be seen in open grass or vegetation the young, however, prefer cereal crops.
Once common, the population has crashed, possibly due to farming practices.
Can be found in 'coveys' outside of the breeding season.
They are inclined to fly close to the ground. Wing flaps produce a whirring noise.
Adults: grass, seeds and shoots; also insects when breeding.
Chicks: only eat invertebrates such as sawflies, beetles and aphids.
Mid-April to early September. Up to 16 eggs laid in a well-hidden scrape nest lined with grass and leaves. If they lose their first clutch, they may lay again.
Includes a high, hoarse keev, and a pitt-pitt-pitt when alarmed.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2014. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: Version 6.9., with updates to August 2014. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- BF Member observations
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Grey Partridge. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 31 May 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Grey_Partridge
GSearch checked for 2020 platform.1