- Penelope barbata
55 cm (21¾ in)
- Grey head and throat, small red wattle on throat
- Dark brown body with grey speckles on breast and belly
- Rufous terminal band on tail
- Grey bill
- Pink legs
Subspecies inexpectata is usually considered invalid
Both humid and dry montane cloud forests.
Their main diet consists of fruit, with the addition of some leaves and flowers.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved March 2015)
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Bearded Guan. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 30 November 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Bearded_Guan
GSearch checked for 2020 platform.