• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Woodwalton Great Fen this Saturday. (1 Viewer)

JCLynn

Well, looks like ( if I can beleive it ) that the Met Office predicts a clear spot in our dreadful weather for Saturday afternoon 17/07/2006, so I've planned a first time trip to The Great Fen, at Woodwalton. I've never been there but it's only a stones throw from me so would be a shame to never go there.
I'm not expecting much birdwise as July is 'hide in the hedge' time for most of our smaller species, but the habitat has got to be worth a look.
Any tips for a first time visitor or is the area just 'do the circuit' until your tired or run out of time kind of place?

ps: went to Holme Fen the other week and that was brilliant, again, birds were shy, but a fantastic assortment of dragonflies and other mini-beasts. I had never seen so many Darter Dragonflies in one place!

Went once back in the late 60's and saw Large Copper butterfly. It was then (and still is???) the only place in the UK to see this species.

Jon

From my limited knowledge, Large Copper is extinct in Britain (and has been for some time). There was an introduction scheme at Woodwalton Fen many years ago, but clearly they never became established. I seem to recall that the last few seen in the UK were suspected of being escapes.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back