• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will Retrovid 8x40 leather case fit an ultravid HD 7x42? (1 Viewer)

Has anyone tried to fit the UV 7x42s into the leather carrying case (pouch?) of the Retrovid 8x40s?
I just tried it...and yes it will. My 7X42 will fit with the RYUL harness(very snug) but I don't think it would fit with the Leica supplied strap. I would try that for you but I don't have any with the OEM strap attached.

IMG_2513.jpeg

IMG_2514.jpeg

Hi Chuck, and many thanks for checking out the binocular/pouch fit. Looking at your photos I think that you are probably right about the 7x42 UV with its Leica neckstrap being too large. Oh well, back to the drawing board! My reasoning on this is that I really liked the trinovid 8x32 with the pouch - kept the binocular from being scratched or otherwise damaged and did away with the need for lens covers. Now that I have the 7x42 UVs I wanted to use the same arrangement. I do not use harnesses as I think that they are too intrusive.

Chuck, maybe I spoke too soon about the leather pouch not being big enough for the UV 7x42! When I used such an arrangement in the past (with 8x32 bns) the leather pouch functioned as a glorified rain guard. That is, I fed the strap through the slit on the backside of the pouch and carried them round my neck. I could then use them with the pouch zipped (carrying them from place to place) or unzipped (when actually birding). Result is that the strap is NOT inside the pouch, but outside. Think that this would work with the Retrovid pouch and the UV 7x42? It hinges on whether the Retrovid case has the horizontal opening on the ventral surface.

Chuck, maybe I spoke too soon about the leather pouch not being big enough for the UV 7x42! When I used such an arrangement in the past (with 8x32 bns) the leather pouch functioned as a glorified rain guard. That is, I fed the strap through the slit on the backside of the pouch and carried them round my neck. I could then use them with the pouch zipped (carrying them from place to place) or unzipped (when actually birding). Result is that the strap is NOT inside the pouch, but outside. Think that this would work with the Retrovid pouch and the UV 7x42? It hinges on whether the Retrovid case has the horizontal opening on the ventral surface.
My UV 7x42 fits nicely into my Retrovid 8x40 case, with the padded Leica strap feeding out through the horizontal slot on the back of the case. I think it looks good and works well.

Hi John, and thanks for the good news. Now I have to figure out where to get an 8x40 or 10x40 case/pouch. I will start by phoning round Leica stores and visiting Ebay.

Hi John, and thanks for the good news. Now I have to figure out where to get an 8x40 or 10x40 case/pouch. I will start by phoning round Leica stores and visiting Ebay.
I don't know where you're based, but if you're in the UK, just contact Leica Customer Care and they should be able to sell you one. I enquired about purchasing the leather BL pouches for my 8x20 and 10x25 Ultravid BR's and they duly obliged. Strangely, the smaller 8x20 BL pouch was almost twice the price of the 10x25 BL pouch, which confused both myself and the lady assisting me.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back