• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Various plants & flowers from Cape Town, South Africa #1 (1 Viewer)

Deb335077

Please help id these all taken at the Botanical Gardens in Cape Town in September

Thank you

Attachments

• AAA - South Africa Cape Town - Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens - 22Sep21 - 14-0827 orig.jpg
    AAA - South Africa Cape Town - Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens - 22Sep21 - 14-0827 orig.jpg
    722.3 KB · Views: 7
  • AAA - South Africa Cape Town - Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens - 22Sep21 - 14-0828 orig.jpg
    AAA - South Africa Cape Town - Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens - 22Sep21 - 14-0828 orig.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 7
  • AAA - South Africa Cape Town - Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens - 22Sep21 - 14-0875 orig.jpg
    AAA - South Africa Cape Town - Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens - 22Sep21 - 14-0875 orig.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 7
  • AAA - South Africa Cape Town - Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens - 22Sep21 - 14-0883 orig.jpg
    AAA - South Africa Cape Town - Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens - 22Sep21 - 14-0883 orig.jpg
    410.5 KB · Views: 6
  • AAA - South Africa Cape Town - Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens - 22Sep21 - 14-0884 orig.jpg
    AAA - South Africa Cape Town - Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens - 22Sep21 - 14-0884 orig.jpg
    344.9 KB · Views: 9
2 Melianthus major
3 would have been useful to show some leaves as many of these daisy types in S .Africa
4 one of the Aizoaceae. Need to se the whole plant, not just flowers, as many similar plants.
5 Watsonia borbonica

2 Melianthus major
3 would have been useful to show some leaves as many of these daisy types in S .Africa
4 one of the Aizoaceae. Need to se the whole plant, not just flowers, as many similar plants.
5 Watsonia borbonica
This is as much as I have of the leaves, hope this helps

Attachments

• AAA - South Africa Cape Town - Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens - 22Sep21 - 14-0875 a.jpg
    AAA - South Africa Cape Town - Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens - 22Sep21 - 14-0875 a.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 6
  • AAA - South Africa Cape Town - Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens - 22Sep21 - 14-0880 a.jpg
    AAA - South Africa Cape Town - Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens - 22Sep21 - 14-0880 a.jpg
    405.1 KB · Views: 8
The leaves look a bit different to me, but possibly?
I agree they're similar and I struggle a bit from these photos. I thought the flowers slightly more similar for the mesem...

...Actually I'm sure the op could contact kirstenbosch (sanbi) and find out exactly what the plants are.

(I think SA desperately needs an accessible online plant encyclopaedia. Perhaps it exists but I couldn't find it with 5 mins googling prior to my recent trip. I mean who on earth goes there [just] for the depauperate avifauna? ...bit like the canaries)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back