• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thoughts on Opticron Aurora BGA VHD (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

Hi,
I read very little discussion about the Opticron Aurora binoculars here. I see they are made in Japan and at the $1000 price range. How do they compare to the Zeiss Conquest,
Maven B1.2, GPO Passion HD, Nikon Monarch HG, or any other binocular in the $1000 price range?
Thanks

No idea, but the previous DBA VHD's that were top of the Opticron tree, were, for me, the best £600 optics by some margin.
I ended up going a bit more expensive with Conquests at that time, but had to add £250 to the equation to get there!
The Auroras are better than DBA's apparently, so should be very good indeed.
With Opticron, I think you pay solely for the optics, and not the 'name'.
In my experience, all the £1000 bins are pretty much the same sort of optical quality, but all vary in design/ergonomics.

Also, I need to ask this....What in GOD'S NAME are "kidney beans"??
I didn't try to remove the eyecups so can't answer this.

Kidney beans is another name for those shadows around the edges of the field of view when your eyes are too close to the binocular eyepiece. They are also referred to as blackouts. The eyecups need to position your eyes close to the eye relief point. If your eyes are too close to the bino you get blackouts and if your eyes are too far away you will not be able to see the full field of view. Its a tall order for the eyecups to achieve when you consider the big differences between folks' facial structure (e.g. eyes can be deeply sunk in the face or bulge out, and anywhere in between, and that's without considering spectacles).

Lee

I tried them and liked them a lot. I would choose these over the Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 for the wider field of view. The model I tried had sticking focusing.

Hi,
I read very little discussion about the Opticron Aurora binoculars here. I see they are made in Japan and at the $1000 price range. How do they compare to the Zeiss Conquest,
Maven B1.2, GPO Passion HD, Nikon Monarch HG, or any other binocular in the $1000 price range?
Thanks

I did a review of the Opticron Aurora which might add a different perspective.

These days there is very little to no real, practical optical differences in binoculars of the $1,000 range. I would venture the opinion that there is not a bad optical apple in the entire selection. I think that in general people tend to think there is more difference available between binoculars 1, 2,and 3 than will ever exist. Ask the question and everybody tends to respond with the recommendation of their particular unit. I think that is generally because all the units are good choices. The real differences that exist are ergonomics. Nothing will spoil good optics faster than poor ergonomic fit. You will get a very good glass in the price range. Try some out as see how the eye cups feet against your eyes, I think removable eye cups can be a bad deal as those with tinkeritis can easily screw up the fine threads. Do you like the feel of the focus knob or the direction of rotation? Can you grasp them naturally and lift them to your eyes in such a way that the target is pretty well centered? Do you like the way they feel? Can you easily manipulate the focus wheel when the binocular is up to your eyes?

The Aurora is a fine choice. However after you try what you can and find one to buy, my advice to to quit worrying about if the Zeiss would have been a better choice than the Nikon.

I did a review of the Opticron Aurora which might add a different perspective.

These days there is very little to no real, practical optical differences in binoculars of the $1,000 range. I would venture the opinion that there is not a bad optical apple in the entire selection. I think that in general people tend to think there is more difference available between binoculars 1, 2,and 3 than will ever exist. Ask the question and everybody tends to respond with the recommendation of their particular unit. I think that is generally because all the units are good choices. The real differences that exist are ergonomics. Nothing will spoil good optics faster than poor ergonomic fit. You will get a very good glass in the price range. Try some out as see how the eye cups feet against your eyes, I think removable eye cups can be a bad deal as those with tinkeritis can easily screw up the fine threads. Do you like the feel of the focus knob or the direction of rotation? Can you grasp them naturally and lift them to your eyes in such a way that the target is pretty well centered? Do you like the way they feel? Can you easily manipulate the focus wheel when the binocular is up to your eyes?

The Aurora is a fine choice. However after you try what you can and find one to buy, my advice to to quit worrying about if the Zeiss would have been a better choice than the Nikon.
Just about sums up the Nikon 10x42 hg binoculars I have....Perfect ergonomics for me and the view is pretty good too.
Peter.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back