• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thought this might be of general interest? (1 Viewer)

KenM

On holiday last week in Cyprus, I bumped into
a very keen garden lister, being of the same ilk, we exchanged lists.
Both having been living at our respective abodes for 40 and 41 years respectively, of course all the “top drawer birds” were exchanged on both sides much to our mutual glee.
I’ve always had a keen dislike of the word “probability” when discussing the merits or demerits of species occurring when on paper….they “shouldn’t”.

His list was most impressive, being host to a relatively small garden (mine being somewhat overgrown).
We shared two scarce species Yellow-Browed Warbler and Desert Lesser Whitethroat that’s where the similarity ended as he reeled off
amongst many others…RBFly, SubAlpine, Wryneck and of particular interest Icterine Warbler x2…but never Melodious!

Herein lies the “improbability” imo… if there is such a thing?
He lives on Portland, probably the UK’s hotspot for the latter not the former!
With myself living c174 miles to the North East of his abode, having recorded a Melodious Warbler in a neighbours grdn.during August ‘21.
You just never can tell, the strangest things can happen when you have wings and a following wind.😮

Cheers

Sounds like this thread has the potential to drift into ‘What’s the rarest bird on your Garden List?’
Ken (relevant rarity committee accepted of course ;) )! In your location Little Auk would be one of the improbables but less so for a Portland Isle resident!
Did he say whether the Ickys were Autumn sightings which would be more er, probable than Spring I imagine?

Sounds like this thread has the potential to drift into ‘What’s the rarest bird on your Garden List?’
Ken (relevant rarity committee accepted of course ;) )! In your location Little Auk would be one of the improbables but less so for a Portland Isle resident!
Did he say whether the Ickys were Autumn sightings which would be more er, probable than Spring I imagine?

As improbable and unlikely as it may be, Little Auk did occur on the KGV (c2 miles away) c40years ago….don’t think I’ll be seeing one flying past…any time soon.

Regarding RC’s, a bit like the P.Office too institutional and arrogant!
My terms and conditions for garden list acceptance are as stringent as you can get, the last person that I’m going to deceive is myself!

He didn’t give the dates for Ickys
but I assumed the Autumn?
When he revealed his location and his tenancy term I thought..I’m in for a hammering here!
Upon delivering his total, I was surprised that I was c10 ahead….and so was he!!
What made it particularly interesting was the same shared “tenancy term” with him on the coast and me c45 miles inland!

So there’s hope for you yet Richard.😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back