• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Saker Tours (1 Viewer)

ChrisA

Birding the Lincolnshire wastelands
Hi,

Has anyone been on a birding trip with Saker Tours over the past few years?

A group of us are looking to go to Hungary with them next year and have seen some great reviews for them via the internet.

We just have a couple of queries that we are hoping those with experience of Saker Tours might be able to answer.

Many thanks

Chris

Last edited:
Yes Chris, spring 2012 and the trip was excellent with all our target species seen well.
Let me know any specific questions that I might be able to answer. We had time split between Zemplen Hills and Hortobagy areas.

Hi Robin,

Thanks for the reply. I've sent you a message via Private Message with details

Thanks

Chris

Hiya Chris,

I went with Janos Olah jnr when he and his family first set up the company , god it must be around 15 years now. The trip was nothing less than fulfilling, exciting and fun. Everything was in order apart from 1 meal which was a delicacy for the locals but not our " brits" cup of tea - (otherwise grub and alcohol superb).....however we did have singing wryneck from the restaurant.
Bird list was as good as we wished. My notes one day counted in excess of 165 red backed shrikes. Yes we saw saker, lanner, er in fact everything I wished. I would give them, based on my experience 5 stars without hesitation.

Pat Dwyer

Last edited:
I have just completed my second trip with them. My first was the June Hide Photography in Hungary which was staggeringly good. Bee Eaters, Hoopoe, Rollers. Red Footed Falcon so close that the challenge wasn't to get a photo, but an action photo. You are "locked" in the hide with a glass screen between you and the birds allowing fantastic photo opportunities. Need 300 to 600 lens although a 100-300 zoom would also do well. You are picked up at the airport (you can fly to Budapest and have a 2.5 hour drive to near Debrecen or you can fly Luton to Debrecen with Wizz Air and have a 30 minute drive. Each day is an early start - usually 5am breakfast, leave at 5:30 and in hide by 615 latest. Hides are comfortable but basic with chairs, water and a portable toilet if you are not allowed to leave the hide (part of the licence for the hide to operate in a National park). In winter, a gas fired heater keeps the hide warm. Usually, hides are positioned well for best light for photography. You are provided with a packed lunch. Pick up is usually 5ish and on return to base a hot cooked meal is provided. Most people then go to bed about 8 ready for the next day! Usually 6-8 people in each group.

My second trip was in early December 2015 for the White Tailed Eagles, The variety of birds was not as great in winter BUT you do see plenty of eagles which is what the tour is for! Similar hours/process as before. Unfortunately, we did not have a sunny day and so could only really manage good static shots and some average flight shots. Too slow a shutter speed meant quick burst of action couldn't be frozen and higher shutter speeds meant lots of ISO noise. On this trip, Saker were using an "Eco Lodge" operated by an affiliated contact which provided excellent new, clean facilities (but no TV if you need it on such a trip?). Meals were provided in a detached building and was ofe xcellent home-cooked quality. Wi Fi available in all rooms.

I would go back gain and fully intend to! No association with Saker other than as a customer.

Email me at Nott@BTinternet if you need more info.

Michael.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back