• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Peruvian Thickknee - does it ever occur in high elevation? (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
Dear all,
my RFI is really summarized in the title. I had an observation of a bird in Lauca NP, northern Chile, which fitted the PT very well, but my book says elevation 0-500m. Anybody know of exceptions to that? Or good alternatives to a bird with long legs and similar shape of body that would occur that high? it even had a square mark on the wing similar to what the PT does in the drawing in birds of Chile. Seen on too high a distance for me to be sure.

thanks
Niels

Neil, it is difficult to see PT at high altitude, but also I think it's unmistakable.
You thought in Tawny-throated Dotterel?, Long legs, similar color, white browed, is normal up to 4000m, I do not know, maybe ...
Grettings
Steve Sánchez

Steve,
thanks for your thoughts! I had not thought about the dotterel, and it is correct, it does have a similar very erect stance. I don't think the wings are perfect for what I saw, but it is worth another thought.

I saw the dotterel later on the trip, down in far south Chile.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back