• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northeast Thailand … A cinnamon-coloured, pheasant-sized daily visitor, locally called 'Nokaput' and which sings like a chorister! (1 Viewer)

Ossy

Thailand
Having given so much of the show away, which forum members are lucky enough to have this beauty as a daily garden visitor?
My initial Google/Wiki search suggests that they are either Grey Treepie or Rufous Treepie.
I live in Isan, about 100km SW of the Mekong's huge bulge on the Laos/Thai border. Any further info will be more than welcome.
Here's an eBird photo . . .

Is this an identification question? The two species are pretty easy to tell apart - look at the amount of white in the wings and you can't go wrong even at a distance. I believe rufous is more common and widespread but both are possible at your location - it's possible that you are seeing both at the same time.

I have fond memories of seeing rufous treepies throughout India - colorful, talkative, and intelligent, as corvids often are. But they're not really pheasant-sized. A typical pheasant (say, Golden) weighs about five times as much as a treepie.

I would not be too surprised if the local name "nokaput" referred to both species ambiguously or to treepies/magpies generally. Unfortunately I don't speak Thai, making it difficult to search for the word. Perhaps you can find a clue starting here: Thai Wikipedia: Corvidae (Treepies are Dendrocitta. None of the treepies have a page in Wikipedia in Thai, but here's a relative: red-billed blue magpie)

Is this an identification question? The two species are pretty easy to tell apart - look at the amount of white in the wings and you can't go wrong even at a distance. I believe rufous is more common and widespread but both are possible at your location - it's possible that you are seeing both at the same time.

I have fond memories of seeing rufous treepies throughout India - colorful, talkative, and intelligent, as corvids often are. But they're not really pheasant-sized. A typical pheasant (say, Golden) weighs about five times as much as a treepie.

I would not be too surprised if the local name "nokaput" referred to both species ambiguously or to treepies/magpies generally. Unfortunately I don't speak Thai, making it difficult to search for the word. Perhaps you can find a clue starting here: Thai Wikipedia: Corvidae (Treepies are Dendrocitta. None of the treepies have a page in Wikipedia in Thai, but here's a relative: red-billed blue magpie)
Thanks for that and maybe I was somewhat off-kilter in saying 'pheasant-sized' … I'm amazed at your 'five times as much' though! I'll have a good look at those links you've included, although I also don't speak a word of Thai.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back