• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest boxes and cats :( (3 Viewers)

hippolad

United Kingdom
Hiya
Made a few nest boxes this year and straight away one of the tit boxes has attracted a pair of Blue tits, but a cat has been attracted also. The cat was getting on top of our rabbit hutch and trying to find ways to get close. So have moved the hutch and tried to cat proof the area around the boxes but it seems the blue tits have been spooked and stopped building the nest.
My question is should I remove the unfinished nest and let another pair of birds build a new one Or will they carry on and finish the started one?

I'm told that Blue Tits are notable for leaving nests behind when they get spooked. A decade ago I had a nest box with a Blue Tit sitting on 9 eggs. Then a cat managed to climb the tree where the nest box was located. Of course he couldn't get in, but the bird got so spooked that she left the nest with the eggs behind and never came back.

Since I had no other place to situate the nest box, I needed a way to fortify the tree so cats couldn't get to the bird box. What I did was: I bought one of these surgical collars in a vet store that are used for dogs (£12 at the time) and put that around the tree trunk. Now cats cannot climb to the nest box. It proved to be very effective and I never had a cat problem again. In the years after this, I have had several successful nests.

collar6.jpg

My question is should I remove the unfinished nest and let another pair of birds build a new one Or will they carry on and finish the started one?
Don't touch anything until after the breeding season. It is possible that they only temporarily paused building the nest and that it will resume later. I have seen that happening many times!

Thanks for your reply
Yusha looks like a good fix :)
And Kits ok will just keep an eye on it and fingers crossed.
This forum is great for information thank you.

Dear everyone! I am now doing an internship at a company that's developing birdboxes and other fauna products (mainly for the Dutch market). If you could take a minute to fill out this QUESTIONNAIRE it would really help me to design the BEST BIRDHOUSE there could be)) Thank you!!!

forms.gle

Bird Houses & Other Fauna Products

Hello! I am Aleks, an Industrial student doing an internship at the Unitura company (biodiverse fauna facilities). Particularly, I am working on a design of fauna facilities for private market. Your response will be really appreciated! P.s. you can choose multiple answers)
forms.gle
forms.gle

Users who are viewing this thread

Back