• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Musselburgh / Aberlady / Lothian area in the summer? (1 Viewer)

WhiteTailed22

Hi all,

With the lockdown restrictions gradually easing, I am hoping to finally venture a bit further to birdwatch. It's been a long time coming.

My plan was to have a day at the Musselburgh Lagoons and Aberlady Bay in the hope of seeing some coastline birds / waders. Additionally, I now have a fairly decent camera \ lens setup (though I am still very much a novice) and I thought these areas would be a good place to start and I could try photography some waders etc.

My question is however; are these places worth a visit in the summer? I understand the autumn months are probably a bit more lucrative in that respect given the number of passage migrants etc. but if anyone has had any success here during the summer months, please let me know!

Many thanks,
WT

Hi all,

With the lockdown restrictions gradually easing, I am hoping to finally venture a bit further to birdwatch. It's been a long time coming.

My plan was to have a day at the Musselburgh Lagoons and Aberlady Bay in the hope of seeing some coastline birds / waders. Additionally, I now have a fairly decent camera \ lens setup (though I am still very much a novice) and I thought these areas would be a good place to start and I could try photography some waders etc.

My question is however; are these places worth a visit in the summer? I understand the autumn months are probably a bit more lucrative in that respect given the number of passage migrants etc. but if anyone has had any success here during the summer months, please let me know!

Many thanks,
WT

Haven't spent a lot of time at Aberlady in the summer, so probably won't do it justice.

Musselburgh, though, is worth a visit almost any time of the year, and I don't think I've ever had a disappointment there. I would also recommend making multiple visits during the summer to get a full flavour of the place.

I'd start at the Eskmouth near the cadet hall at Goose Green Place, then work your way along the seawall until you reach the junction to get to the Lagoons. In addition to gulls, including GBBG, you can expect curlew, very close views of turnstone, oystercatcher, bar- tailed Godwit, gannets feeding, terns, eider. Rock Pipit are possible on the wall. Depending on your luck, and time of year, velvet scoter are findable, and more importantly, come obligingly close in to aid photography. The best thing about it is that despite the path at the wall being busy with cyclists and joggers, it still seems relatively 'wild.'

Away from the sea wall you may get stonechat, stock dove (best place I've had them) and skylark. At the scrapes, anything could turn up, but expect large groups of curlew, oycs, redshank, if you're lucky large groups of terns, and a better-than-decent chance of peregrine flying in and causing chaos. The scrapes are where you'll get 'twitchy' birds dropping in, and I've (accidentally!) had spotted redshank, wood sandpiper and curlew sandpiper there.

I'm planning to head to the Wild East on Monday 26th, when restrictions are removed, and will hit Musselburgh for the first time this year. Its possible I might kiss the ground......

Good luck!

John

Haven't spent a lot of time at Aberlady in the summer, so probably won't do it justice.

Musselburgh, though, is worth a visit almost any time of the year, and I don't think I've ever had a disappointment there. I would also recommend making multiple visits during the summer to get a full flavour of the place.

I'd start at the Eskmouth near the cadet hall at Goose Green Place, then work your way along the seawall until you reach the junction to get to the Lagoons. In addition to gulls, including GBBG, you can expect curlew, very close views of turnstone, oystercatcher, bar- tailed Godwit, gannets feeding, terns, eider. Rock Pipit are possible on the wall. Depending on your luck, and time of year, velvet scoter are findable, and more importantly, come obligingly close in to aid photography. The best thing about it is that despite the path at the wall being busy with cyclists and joggers, it still seems relatively 'wild.'

Away from the sea wall you may get stonechat, stock dove (best place I've had them) and skylark. At the scrapes, anything could turn up, but expect large groups of curlew, oycs, redshank, if you're lucky large groups of terns, and a better-than-decent chance of peregrine flying in and causing chaos. The scrapes are where you'll get 'twitchy' birds dropping in, and I've (accidentally!) had spotted redshank, wood sandpiper and curlew sandpiper there.

I'm planning to head to the Wild East on Monday 26th, when restrictions are removed, and will hit Musselburgh for the first time this year. Its possible I might kiss the ground......

Good luck!

John
John, some man. Can't thank you enough for the advice here. Will definitely be making this trip at some point.

Cheers,
WT

John, some man. Can't thank you enough for the advice here. Will definitely be making this trip at some point.

Cheers,
WT
Glad to hear it WT. Fingers crossed it lives up to expectations! Assuming the wee bams drinking in the park don't wreck he lockdown- easing plans, I'll post a trip report for my scheduled visit. (15 and a bit days....)

First Lothian trip of the year..... 18/04/2021

First big day out after lockdown lifted, headed East, much later in the season than usual. Targeted visits to Torness power station, Dunbar Harbour, then Musselburgh seawall and Levenhall Links scrapes.

Torness is a place I've had reasonable success before, with the mix of habitats lending itself to a broad selection of species. Immediately upon parking I heard skylark singing merrily, not only a year tick, but a sign of spring that's guaranteed to cheer me up. A walk down to the sea wall path got very little in terms of ticks. The gorse on the right hand side was devoid of birds, but I've had yellowhammer there before, and was hopeful of getting them again. I was also hopeful of redshank over the sea wall, given the tide was favourable and a lot of rocks were exposed. The 'rocks' include the concrete bollards designed to defend against amphibious assault- quite a sobering thought that they're needed when I have nieces and nephews in Dunbar. Surprisingly, no redshank, nor was there any sign of a purple sandpiper (a once- time only tick there, but a man can hope) Out to sea was quiet with cormorants and herring gulls, no gannets, which was a surprise. The skylark were putting on a fantastic audio- visual show by now, but for sheer charm the 2 pairs of pied wagtails chasing each other along the wall were a highlight. Got some half- decent photos of them as well. A single male eider went to sleep on the rocks, and a pair of great black- backed gulls mated. A cormorant watched- it would have been perfect if it had been a shag, but sadly, a cormorant it was.

Reached the end of the wall, and climbed the steps to reach the upper deck. From here, the area EDF cultivate for wildlife showed itself to be skylark- heaven. Plenty of individuals singing and showing. It was worthwhile just stopping and absorbing it. Back on the path, I ventured over to the gorse bushes on the left. No curlew in the 'curlew field' which was a surprise. Nothing in the gorse at the junction of the path, a couple of hundred yards further along, though, one yammer stood silently. I was hoping for a little bit of bread and no cheese, but beggars can't be choosers, I suppose. A few wee brown jobs landed in the trees, but at distance and silhouetted against the sky, I.D was impossible. Rest of the walk back to the car was uneventful.

Dunbar Harbour allowed me decent photos of the kittiwakes. They were a banker, though, and it was shag that I had hoped to get. Across the harbour and up onto the wall offered great viewing opportunities. I quickly got quite distant shag in the water, on the rocks, and latterly close in to the old sea wall on the way back. Other than this, relatively quiet bird- wise.

Musselburgh didn't let me down, despite not getting some of the ticks I thought were bankers. Starting at the Eskmouth, looking onto the water just past the cadet hut, I got redshank in good numbers, among the common species of gulls. By sheer chance, a ringed plover flew onto the mud, but quickly became camouflaged. Complete bonus bird, so was quite happy. Lots of movement on the water with eider (awake this time), curlew, and good numbers of wigeon. A pair of turnstone sat on the rocks, which was a relief- normally there are plenty, but I've usually been to Musselburgh a few times by April, so I'm really out of synch. Plenty of oystercatchers flying towards the scrapes, and skylark sang from behind me. No sign of bar- tailed Godwit anywhere at the seawall, similarly, no sign of stock dove at my lucky spot at the path to the scrapes. Scrapes themselves were quite quiet, apart from the left- most one. Shelduck, redshank a- plenty, a large roost of oystercatchers, and a smaller one of curlew. Complete bonus bird were two female wheatear on the mud between two pools. Got chatting to Dave Allan, which was very enjoyable. Dave put me onto the grey plover which had just flown in, and pointed out the snipe and white wagtail that I had missed.

As time was pushing on, I retraced my steps back to the seawall for the long walk back to Goose Green Avenue. Within a few yards, though, I heard the screech of terns, and a pair of common tern showed themselves obligingly, before feeding and heading North East. (I'm a Scout leader, and finally carrying a compass everywhere came in handy!!)

A longish day, but very enjoyable. A good spread of birds, but there are still a good number which are reliable and can still be seen over the next few visits. For I shall return!

John

If you have any interest in animals other than birds, the scrubland you pass through on the way to the beach at Aberlady Bay can be teeming with butterflies and day-flying moths in summer. Worth a visit just for them, even if you don't have much luck with the birds, although I'd think you'd get some of the same birds that have already been mentioned for Musselburgh, eg terns.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back