• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Munich area Barnacle Geese (1 Viewer)

pbjosh

missing the neotropics
Switzerland
Hello,

A quick question if anyone is familiar... it seems that Munich is about the latitude where there is a division between most/all Barnacle Geese being clearly feral (further S), and where they do really winter (further N). I would guess birds in city parks can be assumed to be feral, but can much be assumed about birds out in ag fields or mixed Greylags, for instance? Is it better if they are in flocks? Or are there just so many feral Barnacles around that it's better not to assume much until you're further N?

As the amount of Barnacle Geese around Munich seems similar in June and January, I would assume all of them are feral.
I think you should be very suspicious of Barnacle Geese south of the line Bonn–Dresden.
There are quite a few feral birds in the northwest too.

As the amount of Barnacle Geese around Munich seems similar in June and January, I would assume all of them are feral.
I think you should be very suspicious of Barnacle Geese south of the line Bonn–Dresden.
There are quite a few feral birds in the northwest too.

Thanks for the feedback! I was suspicious but really do not know. eBird flags some observations as feral but not all - though I suspect this is incomplete data cleanup rather than reflecting which birds are wild and which are not...

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback! I was suspicious but really do not know. eBird flags some observations as feral but not all - though I suspect this is incomplete data cleanup rather than reflecting which birds are wild and which are not...
I checked the seasonal changes on ornitho.de, as they do not provide any detail if birds are feral or wild. You cannot even indicate it, only by text...

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back