• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Milvus milvus vs Milvus migrans? (Álava, Spain) (1 Viewer)

MrYama

Portugal
Hello everyone,

Last week, I had the opportunity to observe some incredible sights in Álava, Spain. At one particular spot, I spotted 3 or 4 Milvus Kites flying around. Now, as I'm going through my photos and trying to identify them, I'm faced with a bit of uncertainty.

I captured several images, but I'm not entirely sure if they all depict the same bird or not. While one individual was the most frequently photographed as it flew closer to me, I believe I may have taken pictures of multiple birds. So, are they Milvus milvus (Red Kites) or Milvus migrans (Black Kites)?

For instance, in the image I'm sharing, the birds highlighted in letter red appear to be the same individual, likely Milvus milvus. However, the one highlighted in green letters seems to be different, possibly a Milvus migrans. Yet, I could be mistaken, and they might all be the same specimen. I'm unsure.

Note: the shadows/saturation have been slightly adjusted in the photos with the goal of helping differentiation, but this may actually lead to some incorrect conclusions. I want to make you aware of this potential factor.

I would greatly appreciate your insights and expertise on this matter. Could you help me identify these magnificent birds?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Attachments

• mILVUS.png
    mILVUS.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Hello everyone,

Last week, I had the opportunity to observe some incredible sights in Álava, Spain. At one particular spot, I spotted 3 or 4 Milvus Kites flying around. Now, as I'm going through my photos and trying to identify them, I'm faced with a bit of uncertainty.

I captured several images, but I'm not entirely sure if they all depict the same bird or not. While one individual was the most frequently photographed as it flew closer to me, I believe I may have taken pictures of multiple birds. So, are they Milvus milvus (Red Kites) or Milvus migrans (Black Kites)?

For instance, in the image I'm sharing, the birds highlighted in letter red appear to be the same individual, likely Milvus milvus. However, the one highlighted in green letters seems to be different, possibly a Milvus migrans. Yet, I could be mistaken, and they might all be the same specimen. I'm unsure.

Note: the shadows/saturation have been slightly adjusted in the photos with the goal of helping differentiation, but this may actually lead to some incorrect conclusions. I want to make you aware of this potential factor.

I would greatly appreciate your insights and expertise on this matter. Could you help me identify these magnificent birds?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.
Don’t forget to attach the images Mr Y!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back