• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lumix FZ200 EVF disintegrating (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I have an older Panasonic Lumix FZ200 camera with strange things happening to its EVF. In early February, I first noticed a change in the view through the EVF. The picture was a bit smaller than usual and it had a bright blue frame all around it. Things were fine on the outside LCD. That happened while I was on a short birding trip to the Netherlands. Gradually, in the course of the next few weeks, that blue frame got wider and wider, with the view of the picture becoming correspondingly smaller. Meanwhile, the view on the menu display has changed as well. There is a wide blue band on both sides, with smaller blue connecting bands at the very top and bottom. The text of the menu has a grey background with zigzag borders running down both sides. In a way it looks like a piece of fabric that had been torn off from some fixation on the sides. The border to the blue top and bottom bands is straight. Unfortunately, there is no way for me to take a photo of all of this as it is all inside the EVF.

Thus, this EVF has started to disintegrate and shrink within just a few weeks. At least, that is the period that things became obvious. In hindsight, I think I remember a grey small rim around the picture before the wider blue frame became apparent. Is such an aging process a normal thing? Are there other models that have shown similar events happening?

Strangely enough, the intended replacement camera, again a FZ200, came with a defective EVF as well! As the FZ200 has many features I like while still being reasonably compact, I had tried to find one on the well-known international auction site. I bought it because it was characterized as “perfect condition – as new”. But while the rest of this camera lived up to the claim, the EVF clearly did not. The view through this EVF shows lots of fine parallel streaks that run diagonally through the lower two thirds of the picture. Additionally, there is a slight reddish cast. So the overall impression is like looking through some thin reddish fog with small hailstones being blown through by some stiff wind (though it is all static). Again, the outside LCD is perfect. So it looks that the FZ200 has a weakness in the EVF. The fellow I got the camera from claimed that he had received it from somebody else like that somewhat over a year ago. I still need to sort this out, as simply returning it would mean another costly shipping across the border of Switzerland.

…………... Unfortunately, there is no way for me to take a photo of all of this as it is all inside the EVF.

…………....

I tried a picture via my smartphone. I can't get it to focus, and it is too bright, but the basic blue frame is well visible. The grey center with the ripped off appearance on the sides needs to be imagined, though. I also added the view as seen on the outside LCD. The blue center is an artifact here. The true color is seen to the left of the red vertical line. The same line in the EVF picture is just as red. Thus the color changes come from the overexposure.

Attachments

• FZ200 EVF Bild  via smartphone thumbnail_00009IMG_.jpg
    FZ200 EVF Bild via smartphone thumbnail_00009IMG_.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 22
  • FZ200 LCD Bild von FZ200 via smartphone .jpg
    FZ200 LCD Bild von FZ200 via smartphone .jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I am sorry you have these problems. I cannot say anything more as I have no experience with the model and have not experienced anything similar with the Lumix models I do use.

I notice the FZ200 is from 2012. I believe people said that the FZ300 from 2015 was not that much different -- have you considered if that switch could be a solution?

Niels

I am sorry you have these problems. I cannot say anything more as I have no experience with the model and have not experienced anything similar with the Lumix models I do use.

I notice the FZ200 is from 2012. I believe people said that the FZ300 from 2015 was not that much different -- have you considered if that switch could be a solution?

Niels

The FZ300 is a fair bit larger if I recall correctly, that is why I did not want to "upgrade". I have now managed to find a new old stock FZ200 that looks good. I particularly did not want to switch to a larger version because I bought a Sony RX10 IV in January when there was a most attractive special. I had been considering it ever since it came out about 2 1/2 years ago because its focus is much more advanced and it has a larger recording sensor. The downside, aside from the price, is its bulk. So I need to keep the back-up camera in check, so to speak.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back