• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lichfield (1 Viewer)

Eddie the 'ed

Hi guys,
I'm pretty new to birding and still learning the ropes
I could really do with meeting up with some local birders and introductions to a few local patches. Can anyone offer a little help and advice (and maybe a few hours guidance) so I can really start building my life list. I'm available every Sunday and most evenings if anyone is willing to impart a little knowledge.

Cheers!!!!

Hi Eddie,

I'm not anywhere near Lichfield being a South Staffs birder now living in Wolvo - but as you are Lichfield based I'd get yourself over either Blithfield (if you get a permit) or to the A38 pits especially Branston and Whitemore Haye and you should easily meet some birders who will give you some good advice. Plenty of helpful and friendly birders at Belvide who are always willing to help (especially Steve) but it's probably a bit out your way!

Good luck mate...:t:

I'm in Lichfield but sadly can't tell you much - I'm very much a casual birder and a bit of an optics geek! I do enjoy watching bird behaviour and antics but no good at ID'ing!

Just to reiterate and expand on what The Moore-hen has said really, the Trent valley pits are excellent especially if you have a scope with good access to Whitemoor Haye, Alrewas gp, Branston gp and Branston Water Park. You then have the Tame valley to operate in, check out Tame Valley birding blog for loads of information. In Lichfield you have Minster and Stowe pool, always worth checking. Then there is Cannock Chase not far down the road, you just need to get to know whet sites to visit for certain birds but a wander around anywhere will get you something. Small places such as Fradley junction nature reserve are good places to see common birds close up and Middleton RSPB for more varied species.
Finally keep looking at the various blogs especially as it is dark in the evenings now, and there are loads for Staffs including Steve Nuttals Belvide blog, Richard Powells Local birding for local people, my Whitemoor Haye blog and Staffordshire bird news plus lots of links to other sites from those.
I hope some of this helps.

Thanks for all your recommendations. I'm not a Lichfield native so I'm not familiar with many of the places suggested. Nothing google and a gps cant remedy. I'll give them a look and see how I get on. Many thanks again.

Hi Eddie the 'ed(are you an Iron Maiden fan?),

I would strongly recomend Belvide Reservoir for starting out.

If you join the West Midland Bird Club you can obtain an annual permit enabling you to visit Belvide, Blithfield, Gailey, Ladywalk, & Harbourne.

I started out cycling round my local lanes and visiting Gailey Res around 20 years ago(yes its been that long!). I then started visiting Belvide & found it ideal for getting to grips with many species throughout the year. There are hides and almost always some regulars(Steve N most notably) around. You can be guaranteed to have a good 'all round' bird list on a visit to Belvide.

Chasewater in winter can be great for good numbers of ducks and a large gull roost.

Most importantly, if you think you have anything unusual/rare, please post it on here. There will be plenty of us more than willing to check out a potential Staffs goodie!

Cheers and good birding.

Steve

RSPB Middleton lakes

Hi guys,
I'm pretty new to birding and still learning the ropes
I could really do with meeting up with some local birders and introductions to a few local patches. Can anyone offer a little help and advice (and maybe a few hours guidance) so I can really start building my life list. I'm available every Sunday and most evenings if anyone is willing to impart a little knowledge.

Cheers!!!!

Eddie RSPB Middleton lakes 12th Oct and 16th Dec free birds for beginners guided walk- see RSPB internet site reserves by name Middleton Lakes. John

Hi Eddie the 'ed(are you an Iron Maiden fan?),

I would strongly recomend Belvide Reservoir for starting out.

If you join the West Midland Bird Club you can obtain an annual permit enabling you to visit Belvide, Blithfield, Gailey, Ladywalk, & Harbourne.

I started out cycling round my local lanes and visiting Gailey Res around 20 years ago(yes its been that long!). I then started visiting Belvide & found it ideal for getting to grips with many species throughout the year. There are hides and almost always some regulars(Steve N most notably) around. You can be guaranteed to have a good 'all round' bird list on a visit to Belvide.

Chasewater in winter can be great for good numbers of ducks and a large gull roost.

Most importantly, if you think you have anything unusual/rare, please post it on here. There will be plenty of us more than willing to check out a potential Staffs goodie!

Cheers and good birding.

Steve

Hi Steve, I am a Maiden fan as it happens, was the firt thing that popped into my head when signing up. Like I said, I'm not a native but all the suggestions I've had have been great and I'll check them out when I can get the time to have a proper mooch (having an 11 month old little lad kind of limits my free time at the moment).

I was looking at maybe joining WMBC in the new year but was a bit stand-offish being a relative beginner. I've mostly been checking out Pipe Green Common and the pools in Lichfield as well as Middleton Lakes where I do some volunteer wardening once a month.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions, I'll vertainly check them out!

Damian.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back