• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Avon Avians

United States
The question doesn't really need explaining.
Can an allergic person safely have wild nut-bearing trees and shrubs in their yard?

(Obviously not for consumption, but for wildlife-attracting value.)

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

The question doesn't really need explaining.
Can an allergic person safely have wild nut-bearing trees and shrubs in their yard?

(Obviously not for consumption, but for wildlife-attracting value.)

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
My opinion only, but my gut feeling is yes.

On the basis that the allergy-inducing compounds are found in the nuts only and not the whole plant, which I assume to be the case?

Some people are hyper-sensitive in which case you might want to be cautious on the extreme side (eg people who are at risk when someone opens a packet of nuts in their presence).

Normally any volatile compounds would be locked up in the nuts and their cases/shells and break down naturally when the nuts fall to the ground and decompose etc.

However it might be unwise to do things like handle the nuts maybe or use a shredder on them etc ... Their presence per se shouldn't be an issue?

But - there may be studies/some nut bearing plants may be more toxic or at times (eg pollen?)

(A low level of exposure to allergens can be beneficial I believe in allowing the body to build up some tolerance and not over react when coming into contact)

I wouldn't risk it but what I would do, is seek the advice of a medical professional, not a bird forum.

The other thing is, what is the severity of your allergic reaction, if it's just a rash that's one thing but if it's full on anaphylaxis then that's a different matter altogether.

Get a medical opinion dependent on your level of allergy.
There will be everything from opened shells to partially consumed nuts all over the tree. If you suffer strong reactions from nuts (as you know) you need to be super careful.

Part of the pertinent question is how big your yard is, and how much interaction you will have with it - in my replying I'm envisaging a large area in which you won't particularly come into the trees more than you would in any normal interaction in the wilds (native nut-bearing species anyway). But yes, if near the house especially or likely to get into much close contact with ... treat more cautiously! There must be case studies/garden forum questions out there? (Health professionals may not necessarily know about environmental aspects, but may do).

I've read a bit on this as I work around people with allergies the first thing is is the person actually allergic to nuts or just have an intolerance. Unless I've read it wrong you don't say wether it is yourself that you are concerned about. There can be a vast difference between the various nut varieties on how people react to them ( I don't know what the specific chemical is that is usually the problem) or if it is a range of chemicals. I know a lot of people have the tests done to identify any potential ingredients/ chemicals that may be an issue and these can be very specific. The amounts involved to get a reaction are miniscule and I would definitely not be risking touching even the whole nuts or cases without gloves as a minimum.I know the allergen in peanuts can be inhaled and cause a reaction. Genuinely I used to work at a place where one of the residents was supposedly allergic to peanuts and his mum (who was highly educated) would bring him Snickers bars!

People often mock allergies because of the fact that most people who claim to have allergies usually don't and have an intolerance instead. There is a massive difference between the two with allergies reactions usually requiring an Epipen and a hospital visit. Also somebody mentioned being desensitised to allergens I donypt know how widespread the treatment is but they can do it with peanuts ( I don't know the success rate). I could be wrong but iirc it works better on children.

If in doubt stick to shrubs and trees that bear berries and fruit you will get the same results.

I've read a bit on this as I work around people with allergies the first thing is is the person actually allergic to nuts or just have an intolerance. Unless I've read it wrong you don't say wether it is yourself that you are concerned about. There can be a vast difference between the various nut varieties on how people react to them ( I don't know what the specific chemical is that is usually the problem) or if it is a range of chemicals. I know a lot of people have the tests done to identify any potential ingredients/ chemicals that may be an issue and these can be very specific. The amounts involved to get a reaction are miniscule and I would definitely not be risking touching even the whole nuts or cases without gloves as a minimum.I know the allergen in peanuts can be inhaled and cause a reaction. Genuinely I used to work at a place where one of the residents was supposedly allergic to peanuts and his mum (who was highly educated) would bring him Snickers bars!

People often mock allergies because of the fact that most people who claim to have allergies usually don't and have an intolerance instead. There is a massive difference between the two with allergies reactions usually requiring an Epipen and a hospital visit. Also somebody mentioned being desensitised to allergens I donypt know how widespread the treatment is but they can do it with peanuts ( I don't know the success rate). I could be wrong but iirc it works better on children.

If in doubt stick to shrubs and trees that bear berries and fruit you will get the same results.
Thanks. It's an allergic family member, not myself, that I'm concerned about, and I would certainly not allow any allergic person to plant the trees or allow him/her to handle the nuts, probably even with gloves.
It's a real allergy, and I would say if he ingested peanuts or walnuts, he would need an Epipen.
Not sure if he's sensitive to breathing around them, but I would not want to test that. I know he's allergic to tree pollen.

I don't know if he's allergic to chestnuts. He's not allergic to almonds, but those don't grow around here.
He's not allergic to oak nuts (acorns) and he's been exposed to them many times. Unfortunately, oak trees take so long to produce nuts that planting one would be almost useless, since we do not know if we will be living here by the time that they would be fruitfully bearing acorns.

If only someone would develop an oak cultivar that was more prolific.
Do fruit trees/shrubs also attract squirrels and chipmunks?

Last edited:
Thanks. It's an allergic family member, not myself, that I'm concerned about, and I would certainly not allow any allergic person to plant the trees or allow him/her to handle the nuts, probably even with gloves.
It's a real allergy, and I would say if he ingested peanuts or walnuts, he would need an Epipen.
Not sure if he's sensitive to breathing around them, but I would not want to test that. I know he's allergic to tree pollen.

I don't know if he's allergic to chestnuts. He's not allergic to almonds, but those don't grow around here.
He's not allergic to oak nuts (acorns) and he's been exposed to them many times. Unfortunately, oak trees take so long to produce nuts that planting one would be almost useless, since we do not know if we will be living here by the time that they would be fruitfully bearing acorns.
There are masses of trees that will start producing berries the same year or the year after planting if bought at a reasonable size. One of my favourites tho are crab apples (I presume you are in America so possibly called something different). They are the tiny ones that aren't eaten by humans they seem to be left until the food in the countryside around has dwindled significantly, so are a great source of energy. Also the full sized apple trees are great value as you can pick whatever you need and justl leave the rest for the animals. 8f you can find any trees/ shrubs that flower early/ late they will attract plenty of wildlife.

There are masses of trees that will start producing berries the same year or the year after planting if bought at a reasonable size. One of my favourites tho are crab apples (I presume you are in America so possibly called something different). They are the tiny ones that aren't eaten by humans they seem to be left until the food in the countryside around has dwindled significantly, so are a great source of energy. Also the full sized apple trees are great value as you can pick whatever you need and justl leave the rest for the animals. 8f you can find any trees/ shrubs that flower early/ late they will attract plenty of wildlife.
We actually already have a young crabapple. It was just planted this year.
No wildlife seem to be eating the fruits yet. Maybe when it gets older.

I don't know much about US shrubs, but in the UK Hawthorn is a solid option for attracting insects with flowers and later producing berries as well as providing good cover for small birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back