• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help on Rail - Bolivar Peninsula, Texas, USA (1 Viewer)

SusieRuss

I think this is a Clapper Rail. It was found near the shore on the Bolivar Peninsula (just north of Galveston). Any confirmation or other id help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• 2L5A4025.2.jpg
    2L5A4025.2.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 26
Looks good to me. Long mostly-yellow-orange bill (too long and pale for Virginia, probably too bright for King) , grey on face mostly behind the eye (not as extensive as on Virginia, more extensive than King). If you have any other photos, it would be good to get a view of the stripes on the flanks when they're not blocked by wing or blurred by movement (this is supposed to be the most reliable way to distinguish King from Clapper: King is more contrasty here), as well as more angles on the cheeks and bill.

Looks good to me. Long mostly-yellow-orange bill (too long and pale for Virginia, probably too bright for King) , grey on face mostly behind the eye (not as extensive as on Virginia, more extensive than King). If you have any other photos, it would be good to get a view of the stripes on the flanks when they're not blocked by wing or blurred by movement (this is supposed to be the most reliable way to distinguish King from Clapper: King is more contrasty here), as well as more angles on the cheeks and bill.
Agree with Nartreb. Also the streaking on the upperparts is quite diffuse and not particularly well marked, another pro Clapper feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back