• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

hello new to the site and pretty new to all things birds (1 Viewer)

gizmo

England
only a few years into discovering, enjoying and learning about all the amazing birds out there - little late to all this and i have very little knowledge - the opportunities and teaching was not about when i was growing up - probably as i lived in cities mainly and parents were publicans so wildlife was not something i got to experience.
now i am belong to wildlife trust and go to many bird events to learn - i do wildlife photography and by posting photos, i find such friendly and helpful people teaching me about the birds - recently trained as a falconer as birds of prey are a passion as well - mainly tawny owls and kestrels - last year after attending many bird-ringing events i have now started my training to become a bird-ringer to help with the research and learn all i can about birds - both these have now aided me with volunteering at a wildlife rescue centre and fostering , which birds will be my main species to help - all still early days in all areas - so i have joined this group as i can already see many people with amazing knowledge and hope to learn further - so this is me saying hello 😻😻😻 -

i will read through the rules - but just for quickness - would rescued bird images and asking for advice be classed as captive even though it is short term and part of getting them healthy and back out flying free - and i also would not want to offend by posting any bird-ringing photos which are taking during the recording and show some of the amazing details of the birds close up - i would also like to say any photos i take always have the welfare of the birds/animals and taken during either health checks - cleaning - observation periods and using a telescopic lens so not to be close - low light ect - xt

Hi gizmo and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. On part of this is easy to respond to; please don't discuss "falconry" on this forum, there are many other fora out there. We do have an active Bird Ringing and Banding forum where you can discuss what you are doing, etc and occasionally get pictures coming in showing various ID features of a bird in the process of being ringed. Generally, though, we prefer not to have such images in the Gallery, but there is no ban on it as such.

Regarding the patients at the rescue centre, restrict any images to wildlife not pets. Only if there is a very good reason for posting, such as needing a proper ID for the purposes of feeding the correct diet etc (these should be posted in the ID forum), if there are injuries shown on such an image, please issue a warning, so those who are eating their dinner can decide whether to open the image (post as an "attach file" - link at the bottom of the typing pane.

If you use these comments as a guide you shouldn't go far wrong. You can always contact a Moderator if you're not sure about a particular image.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

If you are talking about the type of ringing of birds with mist nets then you need to.have a really good understanding of bird id. This would, I imagine involve lots of studying both from.books and especially in the field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back