• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falco vs Lynx HD+ ¿Nikon M7 vs MHG? (1 Viewer)

yarrellii

Supporter
I was checking Kite website when I discovered a range I haven't noticed before (maybe new?), the Falco, especially the x32 size, which offers a very nice FOV (8,2º) and light weight (500 g).

I know there has been a lot of talk here in BF about the relationship between the many 8x30 devices sharing very similar features and performance (both made in Japan and made in China).
Given that the original Lynx series is gone and the new Falco is placed price wise below the Lynx HD+ series (which is referred to by Kite as "the top-end LYNX HD+ 30" in their website), I wonder if the Lynx HD+ is more closely related to the MHG and the Falco is related to the Nikon M7 or the Opticron Traveller.

What do you make of this? Anyone with first hand experience with the Falco 8x32 (and ideally with the Monarch 7 or the Lynx HD+ as well)?

https://www.kiteoptics.com/en/nature/product/242/falco/

Last edited:
I have no experience with the Falco. It was known they would arrive on the market but they weren't there yet the last time I went to 'their' shop here in Belgium a few months ago.
(In the same building as the head quarter of Kite Optics, there is the shop Sighs Of Nature where they sell Kite, but also Swarovski and Leica, but not or barely any Zeiss anymore. Quite famous here for birding optics.)
The only thing I can say, is that they assured me that the 8x30 Lynx HD+ was almost identical to the previous HD 8x30 (which I have), except for esthetics/body, eyecups, and barely improved transmission. The Falco are lower priced. I therefore guess the Falco are all new with regards to Kite's line-up.
Many have said here that the Kite Lynx HD 8x30 was related to the Nikon M7 8x30, but I have never tried the latter thus cannot say.
Normally, they have an optics fair in December and I would have liked to try the Falco and Ursus there, as well as mainly the new bigger Lynx (e.g. 10x50), but I guess there won't be such a fair this year due to covid, understandably.

I was checking Kite website when I discovered a range I haven't noticed before (maybe new?), the Falco, especially the x32 size, which offers a very nice FOV (8,2º) and light weight (500 g).

I know there has been a lot of talk here in BF about the relationship between the many 8x30 devices sharing very similar features and performance (both made in Japan and made in China).
Given that the original Lynx series is gone and the new Falco is placed price wise below the Lynx HD+ series (which is referred to by Kite as "the top-end LYNX HD+ 30" in their website), I wonder if the Lynx HD+ is more closely related to the MHG and the Falco is related to the Nikon M7 or the Opticron Traveller.

What do you make of this? Anyone with first hand experience with the Falco 8x32 (and ideally with the Monarch 7 or the Lynx HD+ as well)?

Kite Falco | Kite Optics
Hey,

I have a nikon monarch 7 8x30 and a nikon prostaff 7 10x42.
Well, by cloudy weather or in morning/evening-light the monarch is significant better. Remarkable quick finding and determinating target!! (with his better: field of view of 156m, colorcontrast, clarity of glass and mirrors) So my smaller-30mm and 8x-monarch is much better than my bigger 42mm 10x-prostaff.

Negative remarks on the Monarch:
1) you must positionnate your eyes secure. (Or you see black spots)
2) the sheeld tot protect the objective lenses is to large (it s for a 42mm type i think)

Janw

On the question Nikon monarch 7 8x30 or kite Falco 8x32: I Prefer the Kite

Because:
30years warranty (real warranty)
Good eyecaps
32mm is more than 30mm

On the question 'what type falco':
1)Kite Falco 8x42:
Verry compact 42mm model + verry good results.

Kite Lynx HD+ 8x30 vs Kite Falco 8x32 vs GPO Passion HD 8x32 vs Nikon M7+ 8x30 vs Opticron Traveller 8x32 vs 8yr old Nikon Monarch 7 8x30

I was looking to replace my 8yr old 465g Nikon Monarch 7, 8x30’s and wanted ones with optics at least as good as the Monarch 7’s, weighing less than 500g. Most 'Alpha Brand' 8x30/32's binos weigh over 500g. After lots of research I ordered some likely options online and tested them with two other people who didn’t know the prices or the specs. We judged them on how comfy they were to handle, how easy it was to get and hold a view, how bright and sharp the image was, and which 'felt' the best. Our top three were:
  1. Kite Falco 8x32 (£349 – 500g)
  2. Nikon M7+ 8x30 (£499 – 495g)
  3. Kite Lynx HD+ 8x30 (£549 – 495g)
I chose to keep the Falco’s and return all the others because they were the nicest to hold, and the 32mm lenses and 4.1mm exit pupils made eye positioning and looking around the field of view without kidney beaning much easier. Image quality to our eyes was not any different to the Nikon M7+’s or Kite Lynx HD’s and nothing in the other two really justified spending an extra £150-200 over the Falco’s, but both are excellent alternatives.

Optically, all (bar the GPO’s) are really, really, good. All were very similar and maybe a little sharper than the old Monarch 7’s, though not dramatically better.

Everyone noticed less ‘kidney beaning’ with the 32mm sized binos. The Kite Falco’s (£349) had the least 'beaning' when you looked around the image.

Quoted field of view is greatest for the Lynx HD+ (151m/1000m) and least for the GPO (136m/1000m). In reality (about 50m from inside a garden) it made no real difference.

The GPO’s (£328) looked the most expensive, with a lovely hard case and presentation box.

The Opticrons (£349) looked and felt cheap, with sticky rubber armour that attracts dirt, an ugly case and flimsy lens caps.
I would have been embarrassed to say I’d paid £349 for the Opticrons, especially as all the others perform just as well and look so much better.

The two Kites are similar in feel and build, despite the price difference. Nice grippy, non-tacky armour. Better case and wider strap with the Lynx HD's, though both have padded & zipped cordura cases, which IMHO is better than velcro (Opticron) or click flap (Nikon).
The Falco’s were the nicest to hold and the only ones with thumb notches on the lower side.

The GPO’s were slightly dimmer, with a slight green cast, but this was only obvious when compared back-to-back with the others. Optically my least preferred pair. The exposed metal casing was cold to the touch, causing steaming of the eye pieces until it warmed up and might get scratched in use. The GPO's are the most stylish though.

The Nikon M7+’s (£499) are fatter and heavier than the old Monarch 7’s, with nice armour, good strap and case and are the only ones with a locking dioptre wheel. The Nikons are good at everything, but just didn’t have any standout feature worth an extra £150 over the Falco’s.
These were the newer '+' version of the M7. The Standard M7 is about £409. The difference is the '+' version has field flattener lens technology (?!)

Left to Right:
Nikon Monarch 7, GPO Passion HD, Kite Lynx HD, Kite Falco, Nikon M7+, Opticron Traveller.

IMG_9168.JPG

Thanks for the testing report!
It is surprising to hear you saw no advantage in the Lynx compared to the Falco, considering their price difference while being from the same brand. I am not saying there is any significant difference: I couldn’t know as I haven’t tried the Falco yet. I probably should :)
May I ask why you wanted to replace your Nikon M7, to go with the Falco? Was it purely because of eye positioning issues?

My wife now uses the 8x30 Monarch 7's, I have the 8x32 Falco's. I sold some Monarch 5 10x42's because we never carried them with us, we always took the smaller Monarch 7's which were also much better optically than the Monarch 5's. Hence my search for small and light binos at least as good as Monarch 7's.
I'm sure an expert would find some optical differences between the Falco's and the Lynx HD's with close observation, but speaking as someone who wants to quickly get and keep a good view, the Falco's were best for me.

I was actually surprised just how good all of these binos were (except, IMHO, the GPO's) and I had been fully expecting the most expensive ones to be clearly better. Binoculars have really improved since I last looked 8 years ago.
The Falco's 2mm larger objective lenses really made a difference for me and given the image looked just as good, they were the same size, same weight and £200 cheaper that the Lynx HD's meant I had to pick them.

...I'm just wondering if I should've tried Zeiss Victory 8x25's...?

Thanks for the reply! It totally makes sense.
You are also right: the quality of binoculars has really improved and you can find very good ones in the €250-500 price range, where it starts to depend on each personal preferences etc. to know if further improvements still matter or are worth the extra cost. There are noticeable improvements in more expensive binoculars, but there is the law of diminishing returns…
The Zeiss VP 8x25 is better purely optically, but it is a 8x25, thus with a smaller exit pupil, and will probably not give you the viewing comfort you were looking after considering what you experienced regarding exit pupils sizes. But the only way to know for sure is to try it out yourself :) it is something personal…

Wow, I hadn't seen this, thanks @theroth for such a complete comparison among all those binoculars. Really interesting. It looks like the Falco is a really nice alternative after all.

Regarding the Traveller, it's funny how we all think different. Out of those in the picture, I've had the Monarch 7 (twice), the Lynx HD+ and the Traveller ED. I'd say the Lynx had an edge, they had a little more contrast and pop and they handled glare a tiny little better. Then I'd say the Traveller are a little easier to use than the Monarch 7, although both are very similar. Mind you, I've had 2 units of the Monarch 7 (which I really like) and both behave a little different; one handled glare better and had a little more contrast (tested side-by-side). However, I don't agree with your comment about the Traveller armour, it's something I really like, and much prefer over the Monarch 7 (even over the Lynx HD+). I find the Traveller armour really well made, understated and with a classy and timeless design that can both stand serious abuse and the test of time. I used both the Monarch 7 and the Traveller heavily on the field, and the Opticron shows way less signs of wear than the Monarch 7. As for the Lynx HD+. Yes, it was a tiny little better in some areas, but the increased field of view (one of the selling points) was barely noticeable and the overall design didn't impress me that much. So, after buying the Lynx HD+ to replace the Traveller... I ended up keeping the Traveller, which I really like. However, I have to wholeheartedly agree with you about the accessories of the Traveller, the case is a bit useless (lacking belt loop) and looks a little cheap compare to the others I tried. On the other hand, the Monarch 7 8x30 case is may all-time favourite case. So much so, that I kept the case and is the one I use for my go to binoculars (the 8x32 EL SV) and for anything from the Traveller to compact 7x42, I find it's a true gem. You can wear it on the belt and it's really comfy, compact and easy to use (and can take some beating, I can tell you after years of use in the field).

This whole 8x30/32 series of devices around 450 - 500 g is just mind-blowing in terms of performance and value. If I was one day left only with the Traveller as a single binocular to use (same goes for the Monarch 7 or the Lynx HD+) I'd be perfectly happy. Now I'm really curious about the M7+, I really find it hard to understand what it has to offer, and if it simply doesn't create redundancy between M7 and MHG.
Thanks again, great post!

It seems to me that the Lynx hd+ is a bit overpriced. But my main issue with this bino is that it’s really ugly. The Nikon HG looks better, and probably is a better binoculars.

I use the Nikon HG 8x30 and think I prefer the understated look of the Kite Lynx HD+ with it's all black body and a touch of red (a bit Leica). I don't like the loud gold letters on the black body of the HG or the pebbled faux leather look. But I like the feel of the pebbled rubber armor and the ergonomics of the HG. I prefer the understated look of the new Monarch 7 over the HG.

I've never seen the Kite in person. I like the aesthetic design looking at the photos.

First time I read someone calling those Kite "ugly". Well, that is all personal taste.
I find the previous version, the Lynx HD, really good design (discrete but still looking nice, very ergonomic, etc.) I have only seen the HD+ on picture. Maybe no "waw", but nothing bothering me. I've seen way worse external binocular designs from even Swarovski or Zeiss on some models. But again, taste is just personal taste.

Well ugly is maybe a bit exaggerated, but it has nothing special for me. Nevertheless this bino 10x42 could be a nice upgrade as I can get a discount. My Nikon Monarch DCF (atb in the USA) 10x42 is a good daily bino, I think it’s between the Monarch 5 and 7. But I can sell it for a good price and that’s a pleasant jump to a more serious bino. What do you guys think, it seems a very well made bino, with good reviews.

Well ugly is maybe a bit exaggerated, but it has nothing special for me. Nevertheless this bino 10x42 could be a nice upgrade as I can get a discount. My Nikon Monarch DCF (atb in the USA) 10x42 is a good daily bino, I think it’s between the Monarch 5 and 7. But I can sell it for a good price and that’s a pleasant jump to a more serious bino. What do you guys think, it seems a very well made bino, with good reviews.
I have no experience with the 10x42. If it lives up to the 8x30HD, it should be very good, both in absolute terms and in relation to its price (value). I have mentioned my only complains about it higher up (glare/reflections, and non-locking eyecups, but the latter issue was solved in the HD+). My brother is very happy with his 8x32HD+.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back