• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset's best nature reserves for birding in autumn? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Does anyone know some really good bird watching reserves that are quite active with scarce/rare birds in autumn? I'm planning a birding holiday but can't find many good reverses. I've heard Poole is a good spot? Thanks

WL

Unless the county's changed a lot since I used to bird there I'd base myself in the Weymouth area - Portland's close at hand and Radipole is in the town itself. Purbeck isn't too far for a change of scene and Poole not so far that you can't get there. But with Portland still being good for rarities I wouldn't stay too far from that particular honeypot,

Last edited:
Unless the county's changed a lot since I used to bird there I'd base myself in the Weymouth area - Portland's close at hand and Radipole is in the town itself. Pubeck isn't too far for a change of scene and Poole not so far that you can't get there. But with Portland still being good for rarities I wouldn't stay too far from that particular honeypot,

Maybe Christchurch Harbour's been added to Dorset since your last visit John (mid-70s)? ;)

Seriously, Portland's way ahead for regular rares/scarce birds (helped enormously by the ringing efforts there), and the Weymouth area is definitely the best place to base yourself (all along The Fleet up to Abbotsbury also attracts the rarities) but Hengistbury gets good numbers of passage birds (vis mig), Stanpit's attracting more waders these days now disturbance has been reduced, and Durlston is another good spot for vis mig and the more exotic.

Maybe Christchurch Harbour's been added to Dorset since your last visit John (mid-70s)? ;)

Seriously, Portland's way ahead for regular rares/scarce birds (helped enormously by the ringing efforts there), and the Weymouth area is definitely the best place to base yourself (all along The Fleet up to Abbotsbury also attracts the rarities) but Hengistbury gets good numbers of passage birds (vis mig), Stanpit's attracting more waders these days now disturbance has been reduced, and Durlston is another good spot for vis mig and the more exotic.

Sadly, things are worse than you suppose as my memories of organised birding in Dorset go back the the mid-1960s. Worse still, my earliest memory of specifically looking for and at birds dates to the mid-1950's when as a precocious 5/6 year old I crawled across the saltings in Christchurch Harbour to claim Dunlin! So yes, I do tend to think of the area as Hampshire! The loss of the Christchurch area to Dorset was certainly a heavy blow to Hampshire ornithology.

Back on topic, I'd agree that Christchurch & Durlestone area should be worth consideration, but Weymouth area has to be the front runner

If you are in Weymouth don't forget RSPB Lodmoor very good for waders. Arne is another good reserve in Dorset it regularly has Osprey, Spoonbill and Avocets plus Dartford Warblers

Pete

Last edited:
Portland for migration, weather dependent though - Ferrybridge for waders - Lodmoor for waders - Poole harbour good, though difficult to pick spot - Middlebere hides can be good also hides at Arne RSPB, and boat to Brownsea definitely worth it for waders / Spoonbills on lagoon - Stanpit marsh, Christchurch also good.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all, me and wife are off to Dulverton on Friday 9th to stay at a very nice little camp site in the exe valley. Can anyone recommend good birding spots around the area, i have heard that Wimbleball lake is meant to be good, any suggestions for places with hides where i can set my scope and camera up please.
Cheers fingers crossed for a nice indian summer

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back