• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Delamere Forest and Macclesfield Forest (1 Viewer)

Phil Owen

I fancy giving each of these a try.

Wondered what species to expect and where to park up etc.

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Hi Phil,

Cant say much about Mac Forest as I've never been.

As far as Delamere goes its a while since I parked anywhere except at Linmere Visitors Centre which is well signposted off Station Road. There are Toilet facilities and a shop/cafe (bit expensive mind) here. Lots of marked trails to follow from this and other car parks if I remember correctly. Again info I've been given before is that the south and western areas are best for birds, but I dont know what the basis is for this.

As far as species, its the usual stuff with finches making up the bulk whenever I've been at this time of year. Have had some good flocks of Siskin and Redpoll. People keep telling me about the crossbills but I've never seen them here. There is the odd raptor and the various meres are worth checking for waterfowl and gulls. Being a pine wood its difficult to get on stuff at times so patience is definitely required.

Might not give you the highest day list, but its a nice birding site.

Hi Phil,

I've done quite a few hill walks around Macc Forest but not much birding. The last time I was there was 24th dec 2006 (now, there's a date if you like places to yourself) and I saw the following birds:

Goldeneye
Dabchick
Siskin ~20
Goosander
Great Crested Grebe
plus more common things like Chaffinch

There are Crossbills there but I haven't seen them. Maybe if I actually went to see the birds rather than walk, I would. There is also a Heronry at the SE corner of Trentabank Resr which is popular with the general public in May-June.

There is a pay-and display car park at Trentabank with toilets or if you don't mind a walk park for free alongside Ridgegate Resr. Very popular with walkers and mountain bikers at weekends.

HTH

Gary

Wintering flocks of Crossbill and Siskin occur all over Delamere Forest, I even saw a Crossbill with wing-bars drinking fron a hole in a branch at the west end close to Fox Howl School. This spot incidentally is a May hotspot for Redstart and Pied Flycatcher. Unfortunately I (please note the stress) have not heard or seen Wood Warbler, Turtle Dove or Tree Pipit for years. It used to be a reliable site for year-listers for these migrants.
Blakemere, a recently flooded area close to the railway station, holds breeding Med Gulls among the thousands of Black-headed. The trees to the north of Blakemere have hosted migrating ospreys, no doubt attractted by this expanse of shallow water. All three woodpeckers are on my list for the area but I would recommend nearby Northwich Community Woodlands (locally known as Marbury Country Park) as a more reliable site.
Ravens are often heard 'cronking' overhead and can be encountered practically anywhere. My dog has put up Woodcock from the grassy rides.
This is but a glimpse of what can be expected so come along and enjoy!

I forgot to add that car-parking is free at the car-park along the 'switch-back', Mouldsworth road from Hatchmere and there are plenty of lay-bys along the same road which is more central for a wandering birder.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back