• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dead Hummer (1 Viewer)

pauld45

:C Stepped out on the new patio this morning and my wife noticed a dead hummer lying on the slab near the corner. I was really sad! The poor thing could not have been dead for long because the body was still soft and warm. I noticed what appeared to be his tongue sticking out about a half inch. I saw no blood or any apparent injuries. He was a Ruby-Throated male that appeared somewhat small compared to the other birds. He may have been distracted by something and flew into the corner post. I have anywhere between 15 and 30 hummers currently here in southern Arkansas. Eight feeders in a 25 foot row on the patio. Anyway!!!

P.S. On an other note. The contractor of the patio cover came by and we were discussing the hummers. He said a friend had a shop and the hummers kept coming in and would not fly back down to the door. He put beer in a feeder and hoisted it up to the hummer. After a couple of sips, the hummer came down and flew out the door. I was at first mad hearing this story and then thought of whacking a hummer in the head a couple of years ago when I was trying to capture him with a small net to release outside. Normally if left alone, a hummer will go for a feeder near the door.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back