• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Corncrakes (1 Viewer)

Very hard to see these birds I am told, though i am advised week coomencing 14-21 may is prime time to see any returning or if you are dead lucky any showy birds.

View from old "Dog and Doublet" pub (derelict) by bridge which is off the lane south from Thorney, or from south bank at Eldernall.

Chances are slim but I will be trying this May at least once.

I tried for the corncrakes on the way back from norfolk last night, but no joy. From Thorney village itself (off the A47) take the junction south to Whittlesey, and park by the derelict but still titled Dog and Doublet pub. The bank alongside it looks good for about a mile, as does the river bank across the road, though a sign not far away says walking along bank not allowed.

Had hoped to hear them, but may be i am just a little early by a week or two.

There are Corncrakes back - but the best place to go is Eldernell car park. Park here and walk west along south barrier bank to listen over washes. You will have to be very lucky to see one, but hearing them should be easy in the right conditions.

A few years ago I stood next to the breeding pens, still could not see the little blighters but I was assured the pen was full of corncrakes.:C

I tried Eldernall last saturday evening, thanks for the advice Mark .

Walked about two-thirds of a mile westward along the raised bank then i became aware of 2-3 calling birds but despite scanning for long spells I just could not lay my eyes on any.

Great night though and good to at least hear them.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back