• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

coming to Buenos Aires (1 Viewer)

Ricardo Waldrop

Hello all,

I, and a friend, will be birding after a course we are teaching in BBAA in about a week from now and will be looking for the following specialty birds taken from the Birds of the Pampas Plain list:

Tataupa Tinamou
Elegant-crest Tinamou
Rockhopper Penguin
Ruddy-head Goose
Argentine Ruddy Duck
Rufous-thighed Hawk
Spotted Rail
Red and white Crake
Dot-winged Crake
Speckled Crake
Black-legged Seriema
Rufous-chested Dotterel
Olrog's Gull
Blue-crowned Parakeet
Alder Parrot
Sickle-winged Nightjar
Slender-tailed Woodstar
White-fronted Woodpecker
Chaco Earthcreeper
Tufted Tit-Spinetail
Olive Spinetail
Sulphur-bearded Spinetail
Short-billed Canastero
Bay-capped Wren-Spinetail
Black-crowned Monjita
Large Elaenia
Bearded Tachuri
Crested Doradito
Dinelli's Doradito
Chocalate-vent Tyrant
Gray-bell Shrike-Tyrant
Lesser Shrike-Tyrant
White-tipped Plantcutter
Patagonian Mockingbird
Chaco Pipit
Ochre-breasted Pipit
Black-mask Finch
Long-tail Reed-Finch
Zelich's Seedeater
Yellow Cardinal
Pampas Meadowlark

Any info on specific locations for any of these would be appreciated. Will rent a car and can drive several hours away from BBAA.

Thanks much.

Rick Waldrop
Quito, Ecuador

Hi Ricardo and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

I've moved your thread to the Argentina section as you are likely to get more feedback here.

Ricardo, the thread was moved, so you are already there ;)

But to give you an idea, the following is copied from the top of this page and gives the hierarchy for this thread
Forums > Your Local Patch > Europe & Rest of the World Patches > South America > Argentina > coming to Buenos Aires

Niels

I've subscribed you to this thread so that anytime any member responds, you'll get an email notice and then you can just click on the link in the email ;)

IS it just me or is Rockhopper Penguin a little out of place in this list? If you want to see it in South America I would suggest extreme southern Tierra del Fuego, ie. take a boat around the Mitre Penninsula and offshore islands or a boat around the Hermite Group.

List is a bit strange for Buenos Aires. Some of them you will find if you drive at least 1000 Km with the car.

Looking at the list, the only species that regularly occurs in Buenos Aires is Olrog's Gull (in winter). Zelich's/Narosky's Seedeater is a colour-morph of Marsh Seedeater.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back