• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Clumber Park Nightjars (1 Viewer)

simmojunior

I am interested in seeing a nightjar and have heard Clumber park is very good.
Where abouts in the park can the nightjars be found?

Thanks in advance.

HI mate not so sure about Clumber Park as a venue Sherwood Forest stands you a better chance give the warden a ring at the visitor centre they will know for sure in fact they do Nightjar walks good luck jd

yep budby heath at sherwood forest is your best bet. not seen them there myself but i've heard good things. gary at the sherwood offices knows the reserve inside out, ask him.

Only just seen this now.
I went to Clumber, having phoned them earlier and checked the nightjars were present, to find that they closed the gates at 9 so not a very successful trip

I had a fright last year at Clumber. Came to leave at 23.00 and found the barrier down.
Luckily another car arrived and you can press a button to raise the barrier. When you think about it they must have something in place as you can hire the building for functions such as weddings and I can't see them ending before 21.00hrs!

My advice would be to speak to one of the guys at NWT who have arranged the guided walks in the past and see if they have one arranged for next year. I went to the 2008 one to Budby Common led by Andy Lowe - it was great. Here are some old details on a past event I dug up:

FRIDAY 6TH JUNE
Nightjar Walk – Budby South Forest
Led by the Wildlife Trust’s Andy Lowe and Carl
Cornish, hear and see one of Britain’s most unusual
birds – the nightjar. Before dusk you will be on the
lookout for woodlark and tree pipit and at dusk the
male nightjar starts its strange
churring call whilst woodcocks fly in
their roding display flight over the
woodland edges.
Meet 8pm. Directions: from Budby
village follow the A616 to the Meden
Vale road and after 1/2 mile turn left
onto a track to the water works
building (grid reference SK 604 703),
park here. Contact: Carl 01777 860
666 or Andy 0115 958 8242

My write up, if you're interested in what we saw: http://bens-birding.blogspot.com/2007/06/nightjar-walk-at-budby-common.html

I've been to Budby a couple of times but never for nightjar, hoping to go soon. Cud anyone tell me the best area on budby common where i'll have the best chance of spotting them. PM if needed
Thanks Paul

Last edited:
I've been to Budby a couple of times but never for nightjar, hoping to go soon. Cud anyone tell me the best area on budby common where i'll have the best chance of spotting them. PM if needed
Thanks Paul
My memory's a bit hazy on the exact directions, but we parked by the pumping station. After entering the MOD land, I have a feeling the path bared to the right, and along that stretch was where we had some sightings. At dusk and approximately 1/4 to 1/2 a mile from the entrance.

Had at least 3 nightjars, possibly 4, up at Budby last night, without being too specific they were right at the other end of the common on the eastern side. Didn't do the pumping station so there could be some that way too.
Woodcock seemed a bit scarce, usually see far more while waiting.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back