• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Celestron Spotting Scope advice please? (3 Viewers)

EagleTen

United Kingdom
Hello all, it is nice to be a member of such an active forum!

I wanted to ask some advice if I may please...I am looking to purchase a spotting scope, and would appreciate your thoughts on my deliberations.

It's going to be my first spotting scope, and will be used 99% of the time in my garden, so transportation anywhere shouldn't be an issue.

With it being my first foray, I want to keep my budget down a little to start with, so I have kind of settled on a Celestron scope...mid range for me, but probably low end for most on here...;)

Anyway, I was contemplating the Celestron 100ED range, and I wondered if someone could advise me on whether I should go for a cheaper, used, Regal 100F-ED (catalogue number 52303) or a new Regal M2 100ED (catalogue number 52306)...I am assuming the 52306 is an upgrade to their previous 52303 model...

I am not sure of the differences between the two, apart from the M2 seems to be slightly lighter, but any advice of these two, as a bit of a comparison, would be very much appreciated!

Thanks so much,
Kevin

Welcome to the club

I wasn’t even aware that Celestron made spotting ‘scopes so can’t offer any insight, sorry.
My only recommendation is that you travel to a physical shop if possible and try the 'scopes before you buy.

Thanks for the welcome...

The main reason I am looking at Celestron is that I would also like to use it for some light astronomy, and my main telescope is a Celestron, so I know they are good at astronomy...and that's also why I am looking at a 100mm, as as much extra light as possible would always be a good thing...

Thanks

Hi and welcome.

There is probably a lot of sample variation with Celestron.

I have used a C8 poor, C5 poor both f/6 and f/10. C90 fair.
C70 very poor.

My friends have used 90mm refractor excellent, C14 excellent. C 9.25 excellent.
The C14 may still be made in the U.S.?

So it would definitely be best to actually try before buying, and buy the one you test even if it is the demonstrator rather than a boxed untested scope.

If you know how to star test that would help but looking at the Moon might be enough using the highest magnification.
Maybe the 100ED takes astro eyepieces.
Personally, I would want it to be good at 150x but 100x might suit most.

Regards,
B.

Thanks for that...maybe I am relying too much on my Celestron 9.25 telescope experience, and it is skewing my thinking about Celestron for other optics...:unsure:

Maybe I should give some other makes a better look...Thanks

Kevin

I don't think other makes are any better.

In my opinion it is essential to test the scope you want to buy.

Although I don't buy anything on the internet, if you buy a scope untested and then find it to be poor, return it.

Another way, is to buy a very good secondhand scope from an astro friend, making sure it doesn't have moisture or fungus inside it.
It is very easy to see if it is collimated well, less easy to see if it is excellent.

Unfortunately, spotting scopes, even expensive ones seem to have too many poor samples.

The best thing is to go to a shop selling scopes and set several up on heavy tripods in good Seeing, maybe early morning or late afternoon and buy the best one.
Often the demonstrator is the best one.

Regards,
B.

Thanks...it's actually comforting to know (in a perverse way) that it is not the particular company that is the issue with poor spotting scopes, more the manufacturing/quality control...and that, is really indicative of the world we live in now, unfortunately...

I have been offered a used Celestron Regal 100F-ED for $400, and despite its age, about 9 years, it has been described as excellent condition, lightly used and with impressive optics...

Obviously, that description is by someone looking to sell something, and the description of the optics could be by someone who has had nothing to compare it to, but that was the main reason I was looking for a comparison between the Regal 100F-ED and the newer M2 Regal 100ED...

For its price, I might just take a punt on it and hope for the best...it isn't, unfortunately, near enough for me to go view. And yes, I realise that this IS NOT the way to buy optics ;) but the price is good, and it has all the features I want (ED, BaK-4, fine focus, 100mm), so it does tick a lot of the boxes...

Decisions, decisions! :eek:

Thanks,
Kevin

Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

The F-ED and M2 ED models are optically identical afaik - the former are quite a bit heavier though... but does that really matter with a 100mm scope?

400 quid sounds good for the old one if the objective is good... make an artificial star, learn how to do a star test (if necessary), test it and buy it, if it is ok.

Joachim

Thanks for that...I am unable to test it beforehand, unfortunately, so I have just taken the plunge and taken a leap and bought it, and will hope for the best! It should be with me by Friday...

As for the price, like you say, even if it is just "good" then it is a bargain at the price I got it for in the end...£290 delivered (or $360 USD)...just need to cross my fingers now, and see what it is like when it arrives! 🤞

Thanks,
Kevin

Buy a baader hyperion zoom eyepiece to replace the standard zoom that comes with the scope and you will increase the performance of the scope alot . The regal is a good mid level scope with a good objective and average eyepiece , ive found that the ability to use a wide variety of astro eyepieces one of the better features of the scope . Ive used the 65ed for about two years now and very happy with it .

Buy a baader hyperion zoom eyepiece to replace the standard zoom that comes with the scope and you will increase the performance of the scope alot . The regal is a good mid level scope with a good objective and average eyepiece , ive found that the ability to use a wide variety of astro eyepieces one of the better features of the scope . Ive used the 65ed for about two years now and very happy with it .
Thanks so much for that...that was exactly my next question...which eyepiece to replace the one that came with the scope?

Is the Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece 100% the one to go for? Can I ask please, I see that there is a Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom eyepiece...is that the one to buy? will that (8-24mm) give me the same range of zoom magnification that the Celestron eyepiece (that comes with the scope) give me?

I see there is a Mark III and also a Mark IV...is there a major upgrade with the Mark IV over the Mark III? (the Mark III is considerably cheaper, being the older model)...should I really splash out on the Mark IV or will the Mark III be more than adequate as an big upgrade over the Celestron?

Many thanks,
Kevin

So far, I am delighted with my Celestron Regal scope...it looks in superb condition, despite its age! I have shone a bright light into it, and there is zero signs of any fungus or moisture issues, and the image is pin sharp...even with the standard supplied Celestron zoom eyepiece...

I had been looking for a replacement Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom eyepiece, but just whilst I keep searching and researching, I got an offer of a SVBONY SV171 8-24mm zoom eyepiece, and whilst it is probably not up to the Baader standard, it was a fraction of the price...1/4 the price of the Hyperion Mark IV eyepiece! so I couldn't resist at that price (£47 delivered), so I bought it, and I will see how I get on for a month or two with it, and if need be, change to the Baader in the Summer...

Thanks for all of the advice and help!

Kind regards,
Kevin

I’ve seen a Celestron LandScout 20-60x80mm with small tripod available for £180 on eBay. I’m half tempted to give it a try and just wondered if anyone else has used one previously? It’s obviously at the basic end of scopes and doesn’t come with ED glass or nitrogen filled. How much does this detract from over all performance?

Thanks all.

Thanks so much for that...that was exactly my next question...which eyepiece to replace the one that came with the scope?

Is the Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece 100% the one to go for? Can I ask please, I see that there is a Baader Hyperion 8-24mm zoom eyepiece...is that the one to buy? will that (8-24mm) give me the same range of zoom magnification that the Celestron eyepiece (that comes with the scope) give me?

I see there is a Mark III and also a Mark IV...is there a major upgrade with the Mark IV over the Mark III? (the Mark III is considerably cheaper, being the older model)...should I really splash out on the Mark IV or will the Mark III be more than adequate as an big upgrade over the Celestron?

Many thanks,
Kevin
The Baader is the one you want - mark iii or mark iv doesnt matter alot ( i use a mark iv ) you are going to get a larger fov and vastly improved optics compared to the standard eyepiece . ( if you go fb look up “ celestron regal phonescoping “ and you can see examples of what it does — scroll way down for standard ep)

The Baader is the one you want - mark iii or mark iv doesnt matter alot ( i use a mark iv ) you are going to get a larger fov and vastly improved optics compared to the standard eyepiece . ( if you go fb look up “ celestron regal phonescoping “ and you can see examples of what it does — scroll way down for standard ep)
Thanks for that...and can I ask (if you know or have any thoughts) is the Baader 8-24mm significantly better than the SVBONY 8-24mm eyepiece that I have just bought (as a stopgap until I can source a Baader)?

Thanks

Thanks for that...and can I ask (if you know or have any thoughts) is the Baader 8-24mm significantly better than the SVBONY 8-24mm eyepiece that I have just bought (as a stopgap until I can source a Baader)?

Thanks
I have no experience with svbony products , ive read that its a decent ep but thats as far my knowledge goes on that topic . I own several baader eyepieces ( 1 zoom and 2 fixed) and the quality is worth every bit of the price . My second favorite ep is the baader 24mm fixed ep . It gives a 68 degree fov which is great for catching motion and is excellent glass .

I have no experience with svbony products , ive read that its a decent ep but thats as far my knowledge goes on that topic . I own several baader eyepieces ( 1 zoom and 2 fixed) and the quality is worth every bit of the price . My second favorite ep is the baader 24mm fixed ep . It gives a 68 degree fov which is great for catching motion and is excellent glass .
Thanks...I have just bought myself a Baader 8-24mm zoom Mark IV...got it for a nice price from someone who was moving on from their scope. So got it for £160, which I thought was a steal for the Mark IV...looking forward to trying it out next week when it arrives.

Thanks for the help (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back