• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Breeding Seals at Donna Nook (Lincolnshire) - Have You Visited? (1 Viewer)

PaulAshton

I'm hoping to take the family to visit the breeding colony of Seals at Donna Nook (Lincolnshire).

Apparently it's best to go from late October through November to see the pups.

Has anyone been to visit, especially in the breeding season???

Cheers,

Paul.

:t:

Hi Paul,

Be careful if you do! - seals will attack vigorously if they feel their pup is threatened, and can waddle along surprisingly fast if they are determined. Being chased by an angry seal on a slippery mudflat ain't safe. Don't go too close!

Michael

Paul,
They're easy enough to see. Just step out of the car park and on to the beach and there are hundreds of them right in front of you. Don't stray from the beach path, and take a camera - you won't need a zoom .
If you leave it until mid - late November you'll also have the chance of great views of Snow Bunting, Lapland Bunting and Twite.
The site is wardened so you should be able to get instant information on what's about.

Darrell

We went yesterday for the 1st time & didnt know we would see seals 'at our feet'.
We saw Shorelarks, Lapland & 400+ Snow Bunting, & Twite,
but would have come away happy with only the seal sightings!
Steve

An old thread !

Does anyone know if there are there any seal pups at Donna nook at the moment ( 1st January 06)

Might just visit for a day out tomorrow...

We have visited in previous years end of december, so might be lucky,

Thanks for any help !

Mark

Mark UK said:
An old thread !

Does anyone know if there are there any seal pups at Donna nook at the moment ( 1st January 06)

Might just visit for a day out tomorrow...

We have visited in previous years end of december, so might be lucky,

Thanks for any help !

Mark
I would also like a reply to this request thanks.

We went on Bank holiday Monday 2nd January.

A nice day, no wind at all, most unusual for Donna Nook |=)|

Tide all the way out. By the time we had walked a mile or so out to the sandbanks a bit hot and sweaty as wrapped up expecting colds winds!

Hundreds of adult seals on the sandbanks and many almost grown up pups, not many really small pups.

No huge bulls though, the big ones must have gone back out to sea, the males on the sandbanks where only what I would call average size, not the frightening size when you get too close |=)|

A great day out and I have a few good photos |=)|

Mark.

Mark UK said:
A picture here : http://www.pbase.com/markgrant/image/54559592

These three waddled across the sand to see me, laying down on the sand usually gets the nosey seals waddling across to see who that skinny new seal is.

They take a detour though when they are within a few metres and suss you out (luckily for me)

Mark.

Hi Mark
I live within 20 minutes of DN pleased you enjoyed the seals, mid-November is the best time but don't visit at the weekends...They will soon all be gone the new born pups are really cute but as you discovered you came too late. This is better than coming too early like many vistors do and ask, where are the seals. They had a bumper season with over a 1000 pups this year.

I have a few images of the seals on my blog also some aircraft activity at DN.

Regards, Roy.

http://royhphotos.blogspot.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back