• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-winged Stilt at Goldcliff (1 Viewer)

WHIMBREL

A lifelong Naturalist...
Two Black-winged Stilt were at Goldcliff Reserve (Near Newport) today. Appear to be a pair, the female however has the look of not quite being fully mature (general consensus among many birders present) but the birds were too far away to really be certain. Whenever I decide to leave my scope at home and travel light something tasty turns up...the boys often suggest I leave it at home permanently :-O I had to manage with just my bins today!!!

The attached photo was the best I could manage, I'm afraid they were simply too far away for anything better (from me at least |:(|)

Also managed to get an awful in-flight grab shot of a Lapwing giving a Male Marsh Harrier a belt with her wing, a dozen or so birds eventually saw the poor old raptor off. A Buzzard was far luckier and was seen carrying either a Redshank or Lapwing chick off to one of the surrounding fence posts to eat for lunch...the reserve is almost a take-away for predators :C the Avocets have a terrible time of it.

Attachments

• _JLJ5657Black-winged Stilt (Goldcliff) [1024x768].jpg
    _JLJ5657Black-winged Stilt (Goldcliff) [1024x768].jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 159
Hi Bill

Could you confirm that you saw the male Marsh Harrier at Goldcliff on the 26th?

Thanks

Chris Jones

Hello Chris,

Yes indeed on Friday the 26th, it was quickly mobbed by a 'squadron' of Lapwings and moved above them over the top of the second hide, I saw enough grey in the bird during the brief time I had before grabbing my DSLR and getting a couple of shots that were simply awful (anything half decent I would have posted here - but I deleted them as useless) the angle of flight it took over the hide prevented even a reasonable image.

I remember pointing out the bird to two other birders sharing the hide, I'm afraid I don't know who they were, there were a lot of visiting birders on site for the Black-winged Stilt, pity because they might have confirmed ID, but I've seen a few male Marsh Harriers over the years to know one when I see one ;)

Hope this is of some help with your enquiry.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back