• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-spotted / dotted Piculet (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
As I go through all my old reports, I come across Picumnus (squamulatus) nigropunctatus) which it seems, has been treated by some as a Venezuelan endemic, split from Scaled Piculet and or others.

My query, not only does the species not exist on the IOC the race doesn't either? Further investigation suggests that this refers to Picumnus squamulatus obsoletus, can anyone shed more light on this?

Looking at the field guide (Ascanio), purely on the basis of morphology, Black-dotted Piculet is very distinctive.

As I go through all my old reports, I come across Picumnus (squamulatus) nigropunctatus) which it seems, has been treated by some as a Venezuelan endemic, split from Scaled Piculet and or others.

My query, not only does the species not exist on the IOC the race doesn't either? Further investigation suggests that this refers to Picumnus squamulatus obsoletus, can anyone shed more light on this?

Looking at the field guide, purely on the basis of morphology, Black-dotted Piculet is very distinctive.
This study from 2014 synonymized nigropunctatus with obsoletus

That email address is fine now, changed password but I appeal to anybody, who gets anymore messages like this, to initially ignore them and contact me before they reply or open the message.
I replied to only one then blocked it πŸ˜‚

This won't be the first time I've responded to a doubtful email. The most important thing is not to click on any links in the email

Users who are viewing this thread

Back