• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (1 Viewer)

Still cool today, but it felt marginally warmer in the sun this morning. I had a good look around St Fittick's. Quite a few Willow Warblers were singing, with 11 counted. That's still a bit short of the numbers we might expect, so I hope more will be arriving this week. Also around were a Buzzard, four Blackcaps, six Chiffchaffs, a Sand Martin, three Redpolls, a Siskin and a Yellowhammer. For the second time this spring I saw a Siberian Chiffchaff in the reedbed near the concrete bridge. They often seem to appear in reedbeds in spring. In Nigg Bay there was a moulting male Long-tailed Duck, nine Common Scoter and a Black Guillemot. My first Swallow of the year flew over the water.

I headed around the headland late afternoon but things were pretty quiet and the wind had turned a bit fresher. A couple more Willow Warblers were singing, one along the north bank and one on the south. Offshore, two Manx Shearwaters were among the numerous commoner seabirds. A couple more Swallows were seen and a pair of Teal were still in the marsh.

Attachments

• Bullfinch_Girdle Ness_270424a.jpg
    Bullfinch_Girdle Ness_270424a.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 6
  • LT Duck_Girdle Ness_270424a.jpg
    LT Duck_Girdle Ness_270424a.jpg
    548 KB · Views: 6
  • Redpoll_Girdle Ness_270424a.jpg
    Redpoll_Girdle Ness_270424a.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 6
A cold, dreich day here but it turned out to be quite good. I wandered around the headland through the showers hoping the seawatching might be decent. Although birds were passing close to the shore, it was actually pretty quiet. 14 Common Scoters went through and there was a decent movement of Fulmars but that was about it. A Wheatear was along the south side of the golf course, along with three Willow Warblers and a pair of Yellowhammers. Two Long-tailed Ducks, eight Common Scoters and a Black Guillemot were in Nigg Bay.

I was walking along the south side road below the largest hill when I saw a strange bird fly up from the steep slope. I got my bins on it for a few seconds when it became clear from the unmistakeable plumage that it was a Hoopoe! It flipped over the top of the slope and out of sight. I went up on top of the hill, hoping it would be there, but there was no sign. I wandered about for a while along the south side but couldn't find it before the rain set in again. My first patch tick of the year and only my second ever in the UK.

Andrew - I meant to ask if you yesterday if you keep a count of the mainstays, the expectables? eg On Greyhope rocks a few minutes before I bumped into you - a ringed plover and a couple of linnets. Half a dozen linnets below St Fittick's ruin today. Where were they before that?
First proper sight of a reed bunting this morning although did see one at the beginning of March. Are they always there just not obvious?
Both BirdNet and Merlin swear my camera heard an osprey a couple of weeks ago. Is that likely below the poo farm?
Last Friday, a dog walker said he had just seen 5 sika deer by the burn also below the Big Pong. Anybody else seen them? There do seem to be large footprints in the mud along that road. He said they stand their ground against his dog so they should be obvious.

Andrew - I meant to ask if you yesterday if you keep a count of the mainstays, the expectables? eg On Greyhope rocks a few minutes before I bumped into you - a ringed plover and a couple of linnets. Half a dozen linnets below St Fittick's ruin today. Where were they before that?
First proper sight of a reed bunting this morning although did see one at the beginning of March. Are they always there just not obvious?
Both BirdNet and Merlin swear my camera heard an osprey a couple of weeks ago. Is that likely below the poo farm?
Last Friday, a dog walker said he had just seen 5 sika deer by the burn also below the Big Pong. Anybody else seen them? There do seem to be large footprints in the mud along that road. He said they stand their ground against his dog so they should be obvious.
I make counts of quite a few species but not all. Linnets are a bit more prominent now, as they mostly disappear in the winter. There have been quite a few around since March though. Likewise, Reed Buntings are a bit more perceptible now as they're singing. They're here throughout the year though.
My money would be on Merlin being wrong about the Osprey.

Some things from the last couple of days. Yesterday (29th) things were fairly quiet. Nine Common Scoters, three Long-tailed Ducks, two Black Guillemots, two Wheatears and seven Sandwich Terns were about the best of it. My first Sedge Warbler of the year was singing in the marsh at St Fittick's.

Today was a bit warmer, but still breezy. A Blackcap along Abbey Road was probably a migrant. Better was a Lesser Whitethroat in the sycamore tree on the north bank. I think that might be my earliest ever here. A Common Whitethroat was seen briefly at the Battery and a Common Sandpiper was along the north shore. Otherwise, it was fairly quiet with one Long-tailed Duck, nine Common Scoters, a Black Guillemot, a Stock Dove and a Wheatear.

Today was misty and damp, which seemed promising. It was actually pretty quiet around the headland though. A female Blackcap was in the same bush as yesterday on Abbey Road. Three Willow Warblers on the north side were probably migrants but that was about all. A Wheatear was on the golf course. The usual crowd of nine Common Scoters, two Long-tailed Ducks and two Black Guillemots were in Nigg Bay. A nice brown looking Willow Warbler was singing on the south side, where I had quite startling views of a male Sparrowhawk sitting on the grass. Two Sedge Warblers were singing in the marsh.

Attachments

• Sparrowhawk_Girdle Ness_010524a.jpg
    Sparrowhawk_Girdle Ness_010524a.jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Willow Warbler_Girdle Ness_010524a.jpg
    Willow Warbler_Girdle Ness_010524a.jpg
    445.5 KB · Views: 6
A fairly bright day today, although the easterlies keep a cooler edge to things. I had a look around the headland early evening. Things were generally rather quiet, despite quite a few migrants appearing along the east coast today. The best I could manage was a Blackcap along the north bank and a White Wagtail on the golf course. The only Wheatear was by the foghorn. There still seem to be very few summer visitors around, with hardly any hirundines or warblers. There were at least 47 Sandwich Terns offshore but no other terns. 21 Purple Sandpipers are still about but wader passage has been thin this week. Two Black Guillemots and nine Common Scoters are still living in Nigg Bay.

I think that's a Rock Pipit, although it's a bit underexposed so it's hard to assess the tones.

I had a good look around today in misty conditions, which eased a bit as the day went on. It was interesting but unspectacular. At St Fittick's in the morning, there were a few warblers singing, although numbers are generally still quite low. 11 Willow Warblers were singing, which is not that many for what should be the peak time of year. I think there are maybe four other territories in the area, but 15 is probably only half the number of a few years ago. Just one Sedge Warbler and three Blackcaps were singing. The only migrant was a soggy looking Lesser Whitethroat near the railway bridge. A calling Grey Wagtail was a surprise. Two Black Guillemots, a Long-tailed Duck and nine Common Scoters were still living in Nigg Bay.

I went around the headland early evening. Seven House Martins over Abbey Road were my first of the year and not before time. A White Wagtail was on the golf course again, although it was a different bird to yesterday's. Another Lesser Whitethroat was in the willows near the Battery. Single Common Whitethroat and Sedge Warbler were also around and two Wheatears were around Greyhope Bay. I got two first for the year at once when I noticed a dark phase Arctic Skua chasing a Common Tern in Aberdeen Bay. A lovely pale phase Arctic Skua was seen passing the foghorn later. Also moving were 27 Puffins. Another 'not before time' bird was my first Whimbrel of the year going north over the golf course.

Attachments

• Lesser Whitethroat_Girdle Ness_040524a.jpg
    Lesser Whitethroat_Girdle Ness_040524a.jpg
    549 KB · Views: 5
Today was misty and mostly cloudy but was rather pleasant with light winds and warmer temperatures. I had an interesting walk around, which (despite not getting out early or trying particularly hard) produced 75 species. More hirundines and warblers seemed to be around today, although the latter are still in lower numbers than I would expect. Just two Whitethroats and three Sedge Warblers were heard. Three Common Sandpipers were together along the north shore. An Arctic Skua was again bothering the terns. At least 65 Sandwich Terns were around, along with five Common Terns. Dunlin have been scarce so far this spring but two were among the seaweed in Greyhope Bay. At least 120 Purple Sandpipers were also still about.

I had an interesting seawatch, although it was quiet for seabirds with a single Puffin the only species of note. A very nice flock of ten Whimbrel went north just as I arrived at the end of the headland. Of most note were a drake Tufted Duck and a Shelduck heading north - both firsts for the year. Another male Tufted Duck was hanging around with the Common Scoter in Nigg Bay. Also there were pairs of Black Guillemot and Long-tailed Duck. Two Wheatears were around, and it's worth noting that for the past week a male has been singing and song-flighting. I don't think it's paired up but this is the first time I can remember any obvious territorial behaviour here. It's worth keeping an eye on if you're around and is usually along the north side of Nigg Bay harbour below Walker Park.

Birds around St Fittick's included Redpoll, Yellowhammer, two Goldcrests, six Blackcaps, and a pair of Long-tailed Tits.

Attachments

• Purple Sandpiper_Dunlin_Girdle Ness_050524a.jpg
    Purple Sandpiper_Dunlin_Girdle Ness_050524a.jpg
    930.6 KB · Views: 7
Today was another very calm, overcast day that was a touch cooler and clearer than yesterday. Like yesterday, it was interesting and I also recorded 75 species. I didn't get out until the afternoon but some good birds appeared before then. I was looking out the front window and saw something distantly that seemed worth checking. It turned out to be a house first: a Raven heading southwards. Looking out the back window and out to sea almost instantly provided a group of four Shelduck going north.

I headed round the headland in the afternoon. I soon saw another group of three Shelduck, which flew southwards over the harbour. A Common Sandpiper was along the north shore and the dark phase Arctic Skua was again harassing the terns. Terns were a big feature of the day with 142 Sandwich Terns and 15 Common Terns keeping it noisy and busy. Offshore, Arctic Terns had arrived with at least 47 feeding. In the same area was the highlight of the day: only my second ever patch record of Little Tern. It was fairly distant and headed north, feeding a bit as it went.

The flat sea provided good viewing conditions and, as well as lots of commoner seabirds, a few other things were moving. Six Whimbrel and a Sanderling went through, as did 14 Common Scoters, 23 Puffins, another Arctic Skua, a Bonxie and a Manx Shearwater. At least three Harbour Porpoises were also present. The pair of Black Guillemots were again in Nigg Bay, although the Common Scoter flock was down to seven. The male Wheatear was again by the harbour and I also saw a female near the foghorn, which called briefly. As migrants are normally silent, that could indicate it's settled locally and paired with the male. A pair of Yellowhammers were along the south bank.

Attachments

• Shelduck_Girdle Ness_060524a.jpg
    Shelduck_Girdle Ness_060524a.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Shelduck_Girdle Ness_060524b.jpg
    Shelduck_Girdle Ness_060524b.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 2
I think that's a Rock Pipit, although it's a bit underexposed so it's hard to assess the tones.
Not light exposureView attachment Harbour 24,5,2 waves on South Pier 47 compressed .mov - salt exposure. Lens clarted!
Was this a scoter under the Lighthouse? 1715110029915.png So much smaller than an eider duck.
Very jealous of you shelduck. Not landing anywhere?
Amazed you saw porpoises. So many dolphins around. Was told there was a dead porpoise on Aberdeen Beach today.

Not light exposureView attachment 1578355 - salt exposure. Lens clarted!
Was this a scoter under the Lighthouse? View attachment 1578357 So much smaller than an eider duck.
Very jealous of you shelduck. Not landing anywhere?
Amazed you saw porpoises. So many dolphins around. Was told there was a dead porpoise on Aberdeen Beach today.
I think it's probably a Common Scoter, yes. Not sure I've ever seen a Shelduck land here - they're always fly overs.

The Porpoises generally stay far out when the dolphins are around. The dolphins rarely go more a few hundred metres from the shore, so it's probably a safe bet.

On Saturday morning, my scheduled flight offshore was cancelled, so at about 9 am I found myself free to wander. Despite the very wet fog making things a bit uncomfortable, and no binoculars, I decided to check out this patch, of which I have heard so much. Given the conditions, and the lack of optics, I was not expecting too much, but it was good to finally visit some of the places that I have read about on this thread.

Bird of the day was a Lesser Whitethroat heard then seen in a gorse bank at the side of the road that descends alongside the new harbour.

Had a fairly low key look around the headland this evening. Terns were again quite numerous with 65 Sandwich Terns, two Common Terns and four Arctic Terns. Three Wheatears were in Greyhope Bay. The usual pair of Black Guillemots and seven Common Scoters were in Nigg Bay.
Possibly the Black Guilliemots could be breeding there,as there are plenty suitable sites for them.I thought the Scoters would be off north breeding somewhere,like the Long tailed Ducks by now,so what Is It about this part of the Harbour,that Is keeping them there,Andrew ?

Footnote; For anyone planning to visit St Fitticks Park,there Is a community of Travelling People/Gypsies camped there at the moment,with Caravans berthed on the concrete path to the north of the Park.

Possibly the Black Guilliemots could be breeding there,as there are plenty suitable sites for them.I thought the Scoters would be off north breeding somewhere,like the Long tailed Ducks by now,so what Is It about this part of the Harbour,that Is keeping them there,Andrew ?

Footnote; For anyone planning to visit St Fitticks Park,there Is a community of Travelling People/Gypsies camped there at the moment,with Caravans berthed on the concrete path to the north of the Park.
I think the Black Guillemots have at least thought about breeding there for the past couple of years. I think more-or-less all of the scoters are immatures, so that will be why they're not going anywhere to breed this year. I wonder if they will head up to Blackdog over the summer to join the moulting flock. The number seems to have dropped by two in the past few days so perhaps they're starting to move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back