• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ATX range 20x60 85mm or 30x70 95mm? (1 Viewer)

Lawts

Supa Silly Un
I've posted a similar message in the sea-watch forum, as that's my primary focus.

I'm querying if there's a massive improvement in sea-watching with the higher magnification and larger object lens, or if the 85mm may have its own better claims, e.g. if it has a wider field of view, or is better as a lighter scope and better for digiscoping when not sea-watching.

I've ruled out the 65mm abd I think the 115mm is a bit big, so it's between the 85 and 95mm.

Like I say sea-watching is the main reason for upgrading. I know bith are excellent scopes, but keen to hear from those who've used both.

Thanks.

For me, the exit pupil diameter was an important factor in choosing among the sizes. After multiple testing sessions of all the sizes and combinations, I ended up with ATX/BTX 115 and also have the extender. Yes, the 115 kit is the largest, and carrying ATX, BTX, 115, extender, and the PCT/PCH tripod is the heaviest option. I tend to carry it in the Swarovski backpack usually less than a mile and then set up for seabird watching from land for extended viewing time. The BTX is most comfortable for extended viewing and getting on the bird, but the ATX has its advantages in variable magnification. ATX and BTX work fine for my mobile phone pictures.

I recommend you set up a spreadsheet to inform about the ranges of the specifications among the choices. I also recommend multiple testing sessions of all the choices to see what may appeal best to you. For example, I tend to enjoy 30 minutes at one location, other people may wish to move after a few minutes and they may desire a lighter setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back