• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone done Bulgaria? (1 Viewer)

CJW

Hit-and-run WUM
All,
I'm thinking of going to Bulgaria for a fortnight next September (2004, nowt like planning in advance!), and I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source of information on the country's birding (preferably an online source) or if any BF-ers had been.
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Excellent thanks Michael! The link won't open to 'Birdtours' at the moment but will have a look later.
Is Bulgaria easy enough to get around? I'll probably hire a car for the fortnight. What about getting my gear throuh customs (Optical Gear not smoking gear!!).

Hi Chris,

If you can't get to birdtours, let me know and I'll e-mail a copy. Opened fine for me just now though.

Sorry, no idea about car hire in BG - I used public transport. Didn't need to know the language either, as the Bulgarian lad I went round with has very good english.

On your own, knowing a little Bulgarian or Russian would certainly help a lot, and even more important, to be able to read cyrillic road signs (major road signs have roman script as well as cyrillic, but smaller places and back roads don't).

Getting around - the roads vary from mediocre to dreadful, and there's still a fair deal of horse- and donkey-cart traffic, so expect journeys to take 3 times as long as you'd expect from the milage involved. At least the cars (Moskvitch, Trabbies, Skoda) tend to be built like tanks, so they can cope with the potholes well.

No problems on entering the country, maybe because of the long queue at the entry - it was the day before the Bulgaria-Denmark world cup qualifier footie match, so there were about 10 planeloads of Danes on top of the normal airport traffic. Everyone was being waved through fairly quickly, no baggage checks at all, only passports.

On exit, they checked a bit more carefully (just 2 weeks after the Al Qaeda WTC massacre), but still no problems, once they were sure it was a telescope, not a gun or bomb.

Michael

That's really helpful, thanks Michael. Quite fancy driving a Trabant for a giggle. Where did you get your mapping (road and geog')?

Hi Chris,

I doubt they hire trabbies to foreign tourists, they're reserved for the locals :-O

Moskvitches are like trabbies, but even more so. You could probably buy an old one for less than the hire cost of a plush modern fleet car :t:

"Where did you get your mapping (road and geog')?"
- I presume you mean the map on the birdtours website (you managed to access it now?) - I scavenged a base map off encarta cd-rom world atlas, then added other sites myself as needed

Michael

I've asked my Bulgarian collegues if the have any information. They're not birders themselves but will contact friends and relations back home who are.

went to bulgaria in sept 94 cj,on an el cheapo package deal!! had some very good birds (stay at sunnybeach,good for peckers incl middle spotted common), also sombre tit,thrush nightingale etc nearby,, coach trip to ropotamo river (pygmy corm),good for migrants, also very cheap then,not sure what its like now!! highlight of my trip was a flock of over 1000 white pelicans flying over sthe resort after a thunderstorm!! cheers
andy p

Hi Chris,

For Black Woodies you need to be in the mountain conifer forests, middle altitudes best, around 1000-1500m

One problem is though, is that even the National Parks still have an anachronistic rule which allows the felling and harvesting of dead trees, so there isn't as much dead wood for woodies as there should be, at least not close to roads.

Michael

Cheers mate, I'll give them a bloody good go, wherever they are. I assume they're easy enough to hear?

Hi Michael,
It is not strictly necessary to visit the mountains to see Black Woodpecker in Bulgaria:saw one very well in an area of deciduous trees in the lowlands(have to look up my notes to see where)!
Harry H

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back