• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any good bird guides for Norway (1 Viewer)

Euan Buchan

The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
Supporter
Scotland
I’m going to Norway end of August and was wondering if there’s any books on birds in Norway. I know there’s a book Birdwatching In Norway but that is out of print but haven’t seen anything else.

Hey Euan,
I've got the Dintur book....never actually used it to be honest but if you can narrow down where u wanna go roughly I can photo the relevant pages and message them to ya if that's any help?

A multi-lingual check list

If you are going North there is loads here

Last edited:
Hi Euan
this is not a guide, but the website where most people in Norway submit their sightings (birds, plants, mammals, etc.). You can sort it according to county and also search for specific species and in certain areas or Norway as a whole. When I switched it to English, the species names were still in Norwegian, but there should be an option to change that, too.

Good luck and enjoy,
Florian

Hey Euan,
I've got the Dintur book....never actually used it to be honest but if you can narrow down where u wanna go roughly I can photo the relevant pages and message them to ya if that's any help?
Hi there, My son lives in Larkollen, south of Oslo. Are there any pages in the book for that general area?

Hi Euan
this is not a guide, but the website where most people in Norway submit their sightings (birds, plants, mammals, etc.). You can sort it according to county and also search for specific species and in certain areas or Norway as a whole. When I switched it to English, the species names were still in Norwegian, but there should be an option to change that, too.

Good luck and enjoy,
Florian
https://phdessay.com/essay-type/literary-analysis/ offers valuable literary analysis and I use it to write about books and guides.
Hi Florian,

I see you provided an interesting source, so I have a couple of questions, please:

Can you provide some tips on how to navigate and effectively use the website for submitting and searching sightings? Any specific features or filters you found particularly helpful?

And the second one - have you personally used this website to submit any sightings? If so, what was your experience like, and did you find it user-friendly?

Looking forward to hearing more about your experience and insights

Best regards,
Heily

Hi Heily

I just clicked on the link I provided and it didn't work anymore. On the starting page you select birds under "Species Group" and then click on "Sightings" to get to the "table view". Here you have a list of submitted bird sightings for the day. You can sort the table it in various different ways (species status, area, etc) and safe the link as a bookmark to avoid those first steps the next times.

To submitting sightings, you click on the tab, fill out the form with the information you have, choose a location on the map to the right, click submit sighting (here you can add a picture to the sighting, if you'd like) and then there's an extra step to review your sightings before finally publishing them. If you're not familiar with the local species and but have some pictures, there is a link to a ID software (Artsorakel) under the species field that you can give a try. With half decent photos it works rather well.

The search function is great. Click on the tab, fill out the form (it's literally just the species, date and geography) and get the results you want. The most useful outcome is probably either as a map or a table. Depending on what you're looking for I'd filter/tailor the date and geography section, especially when you choose the table-outcome.

Both, submitting and searching, is rather simple. Just give it a try, test it out a few times and you'll get used to it quickly. As I live in Norway, I'm using it frequently.

Hope that helps!

Are you going spend your holidays here?

Best regards, Florian

There are several books on birds in Norway that you can consider for your trip. Here are a few recommendations: Flappy Bird

1. "Birds of Europe" by Lars Svensson, Killian Mullarney, and Dan Zetterström: This comprehensive field guide covers the birds of Europe, including Norway. It provides detailed descriptions, illustrations, and distribution maps for various bird species.

1. "Birds of Norway" by Jon Lurås: This book specifically focuses on the bird species found in Norway. It includes information about bird identification, behavior, and habitats. It also features color illustrations and maps.

1. "Birds of Europe: Second Edition" by Lars Jonsson: Another excellent field guide that covers European birds, including those found in Norway. It contains detailed descriptions, illustrations, and helpful tips for bird identification.

1. "Birds of Norway" by Finn Krafft and Tom Schandy: This book showcases the diverse birdlife of Norway through stunning photographs. It provides information about different species, their behavior, and their habitats.

These books can be useful resources for identifying and learning about the bird species you may encounter during your trip to Norway. Consider checking online retailers, local bookstores, or even libraries to find these or other similar books on birds in Norway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back