• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ZR never seems to win... (1 Viewer)

LOL who cares, I have the ZR Prime HD 10x42 and ZRS 10x32 and for me they are really great optically, mechanically and ergonomically. I continue to be very pleased with them especially when I get to compare them against other more expensive choices. I just use them and don't worry at all about how they are rated (or not)!

I have owned four pair of ZR bins and have no plans to change that…I'm quite pleased. I just wonder how biased these reviews/reviewers are. Wish they could/would do a blind comparison. Just thought I would throw the question out there, I'm not picking on ZR. Actually, quite the opposite.

Wish they could/would do a blind comparison.

IMO the most pertinent comment today in all the 'review' discussion.

Doing it blind would be a real leveller !

It's such great fun to gorilla tape over all the branding on a new bin, change the strap, replace the centre column front button, and hand it to a mate with a 'what do you think then ?' :-O

I just don't think it's possible to do a real taste test for Pepsi vs Coke if you can see what you're drinking. ;)

Tape them, paint them, no straps…change it all. THEN tell me what you think.

Well, this is a first, two female BF members posting back to back! That was a pleasant surprise.

Zen Ray is like Rodney Dangerfield (no, I don't mean dead, I mean it don't get no respect). Or at least not the respect the brand deserves. ZR is no longer the new guy on the block, and Charles has expanded his offerings, but in terms of models, Vortex is still way out ahead.

Even though ZR has optics that compete head to head with Vortex, I think the fact that Vortex has so many models and can be found in so many stores is the reason that brand gets more attention. ZR needs better distribution. As they get into more hands, they will get ranked along with Vortex, Hawke, and others.

Brock

Well, this is a first, two female BF members posting back to back! That was a pleasant surprise.

Brock

It happens all the time. Chosun Juan and I have posted back to back many times before. It's true the binocular forum only has a few female regulars, but we are all over BF in the other forums. :)
Welcome aboard Michelle !

Last edited:
It happens all the time. Chosun Juan and I have posted back to back many time before. Yes, CJ is a woman. I don't think many people know that b/c nobody seems to look at profiles. :). It's true the binocular forum only has a few female regulars, but we are all over BF in the other forums. :)
Welcome aboard Michelle !

Git out uh here, really?

Womenz is every where these days, let y'all vote and you just take over. :-O

Beth and Brock........I think there are more women reading and posting than one might assume. User names are often gender neutral :)

Beth and Brock........I think there are more women reading and posting than one might assume. User names are often gender neutral :)

Yes, and I noticed this from looking at member's profiles. Just a hunch but
I don't think many people look at the user profiles too often.

Last edited:
Not many men, at any rate. . .. ;)

It does appear this way and a lot of guys seem to leave their profile info blank. They're laying low ;) But, it's probably best to put
as little info on these types of websites as possible. I probably have too much personal info floating around in cyberspace. I haven't any problems
yet...keeping fingers crossed.

:cat:

I might as well just give you my Facebook page. Yes, the significant other finally talked me into it about a month or so ago. ;)

I recently quit Facebook. I didn't delete the account entirely so I may
be back someday. I find myself here on BF way more in the various sub-forums.

Sorry for going off topic.

Back to zen ray...the new 8x32 looks great :). It's true what Brock mentioned;
that they are not as visible and widely distributed as some other brands. I found out
about zen ray from birdforum. Before BF I got to know the various brands and models
on Eagle Optics and they don't carry ZR.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back