• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss conquest 8x56 review (1 Viewer)

Craig77

United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

I would like to review my new pair of binoculars, Zeiss conquest 8x56. Before I buy something I research and research. I read reviews, I watch reviews, then I read and watch more. I have been thinking of getting a pair of these for a while for Badger watching. After doing 60 hours over time last month I had the money to buy some, but it was in the back of my mind if I'd use them enough as they're not really an every day grab and go set of bins because of their size and weight. In the reviews they all mentioned they're heavy, but they're going to be aren't they,? They're 56mm. Anyway I bought them.

Surprisingly they aren't as heavy as I expected. I had the strap on the outside of my hood so all the pressure wasn't high up on my neck and I walked and birdwatched for 4 hours.

In some reviews it says for best comfort hold them by the barrels, but that's nonsense. My hands are on the small side and I had no problems holding them at the bridge while focusing. The ballance is spot on and when holding them up they don't feel no heavier than my friends Leica 8x42BN. Or my 10x42 Noctivids.

The deaph of feild is brilliant, field of view is ok but not the best. Clarity is brilliant and they are sharp, very sharp. Half an hour after sun set I could see the barbs on a barb wire fence about 100 yards away. I could still make out details on tree bark. I could see Rabbits running around in a field and make out the details in the fur and see their white tails.

I would have no problem just grabbing these binoculars on a dull cloudy day for a day's birding in the woods. Obviously open areas , the coast and nicer days my Leica Noctivids will be my first choice. But if I go on a road trip and not sure on the weather, I'd take both. Put the 8x56 in my rucksack and swap them over at dusk.

I am very picky when it comes to optics, if I don't like them I don't like them. I even once sent a pair of NL PURE back to exchange for the Noctivids. But these Zeiss conquest 8x56 are brilliant, they are definitely a keeper.

8x56 just keep on going as the darkness creeps in, I have a (slight older/much heavier) Doctor (ex zeiss) pair. Very sharp, very 3D view, but with a limited field of view.
Personally if I’m out looking for nocturnal wildlife (including badgers) I’d pack a compact thermal monocular, like switching on the daytime again. But then you then have a limited sensor pixel resolution and field of view trade-offs.

Peter

High-end 56mm binoculars are amazing instruments, I love the big glass and its benefits! It's a special treat when I bring my 10x56 out for bird and nature viewing.....their primary use is for astronomy.

How does one view badgers? I've never seen one, I'd love to, sounds very cool. Where and when do you look? Do they make a certain noise, or do you know where their burrows are? At the edges of fields or something?

It helps to know where the badgers live, but I’ve had most success with managed grassy areas nearby as they eat a lot of worms. They come out at dusk and go out looking for food. Binoculars help in the dusk/twilight, the la helps when it’s dark. They are a protected species (in the uk) as some people are not kind to them and so you have to find your own. Where they live depends on the underlying geography and land use. I live on the edge of a big city and we have plenty, though most people don’t realise.

Peter

High-end 56mm binoculars are amazing instruments, I love the big glass and its benefits! It's a special treat when I bring my 10x56 out for bird and nature viewing.....their primary use is for astronomy.

How does one view badgers? I've never seen one, I'd love to, sounds very cool. Where and when do you look? Do they make a certain noise, or do you know where their burrows are? At the edges of fields or something?
Hello Scott.

I found a set 3 years ago and been watching them ever since. If you are quiet, very still and down wind you can get really close to them, I've had them at my feet. Their eye sight isn't great but their hearing and sense of smell is brilliant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back