• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

yelkouan shearwaters on the bosphorus (1 Viewer)

James Lowther

hello,
just thought i'd leave a little stub of a thread in case anyone's ever trawling the forums for info in the future.
It may be out there somewhere already but just by looking at maps and having a punt i came across a little square next to a mosque on the west shore of the bosphorus at ortakoy, just south of the bridge, where the straights are pretty narrow and you can get really nice views of yelkouan shearwater, much better than at for example Seraglio point.
I walked there from my hotel which was in the same part of town but it should be relatively easy to reach by bus from taksim, besiktas, kabatas etc.
cheers,
James

Arrived in Istanbul on Friday 1st Oct. Wandered down to seafront below Sultanhamet. Distant Yelkouan Shears but very close pods of Dolphin. Mostly Bottlenose and one other smaller species. The bottlenose repeatedly showing and breaching with the smaller species only showing as their backs/fins broke the water surface. Also thousands of gulls wheeling around. No sign of similar gull/dolphin/shearwater numbers over next few days so probably big numbers of fish present that evening.

.....really nice views of yelkouan shearwater, much better than at for example Seraglio point.
....James

We had them regularly from the ferry boat as we crossed the Bosphorus between the European side and the Asian side. Often, they come quite close.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back