• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Will Swarovski upgrade lenses on older 7x42 B SLC? (1 Viewer)

coolhand68

I have an older pair of Swarovski 7x42 B SLC from 1992. They need to go in for service for a slow focus wheel and internal cleaning. I'm curious if they will be able to upgrade the objective and ocular lenses and prisms to something more recent? Not sure if their most recent 7x42 optics will fit in these older binoculars. What would be the newest possible lenses/prisms they could install? I've seen older 10x42 SLCs get the upgrade treatment but I'm not sure about 7x42. I'm waiting for their repair page to be "repaired" so I can submit a request to mail them in for service.

This would require a phone call to the service department. It does not sound like those would warrant
new lenses, and a slow focus was standard on the model. Internal cleaning means what, fogging ?
I do know they won't replace any scratches to lenses without a charge.
Swarovski service is the best, I have sent in binoculars for fungus and fogging, they fixed them up with
no charge.
Jerry

This would require a phone call to the service department. It does not sound like those would warrant
new lenses, and a slow focus was standard on the model. Internal cleaning means what, fogging ?
I do know they won't replace any scratches to lenses without a charge.
Swarovski service is the best, I have sent in binoculars for fungus and fogging, they fixed them up with
no charge.
Jerry
I don’t mind paying for lens/prism upgrade but I’m wondering if newer lenses would fit these older binoculars. It would be nice to have some SLC Neu or HD lenses in them. Otherwise I would be happy with a cleaning. Some hazing and dust inside. The focus wheel sticks a little when adjusted all the way to one side.

Hi coolhand,

When SONA (Swarovski Optik North America) receives the binocular they’ll examine it to see what needs repair, and then proceed accordingly
e.g. see a work sheet from late 2022 for a 7x42, where various parts including the prisms were replaced:

SLC 7x42.jpg
It’s from an ebay listing in early 2023 by jabar-7045.

The original SLC x42 series was made from 1992 to 2010. For repairs, Swarovski uses parts from the original production that they have in stock.
And although it shares the SLC designation, the SLC x42 HD introduced in 2010 is a total redesign, so there's no parts interchangeability.

John

p.s. The original series were 7x42 and 10x42. The HD versions were 8x42 and 10x42 (and since 2021 they are marketed by Kahles as the Helia S).

Last edited:
Hi coolhand,

When SONA (Swarovski Optik North America) receives the binocular they’ll examine it to see what needs repair, and then proceed accordingly
e.g. see a work sheet from late 2022 for a 7x42, where various parts including the prisms were replaced:

View attachment 1574045
It’s from an ebay listing in early 2023 by jabar-7045.

The original SLC x42 series was made from 1992 to 2010. For repairs, Swarovski uses parts from the original production that they have in stock.
And although it shares the SLC designation, the SLC x42 HD introduced in 2010 is a total redesign, so there's no parts interchangeability.

John

p.s. The original series were 7x42 and 10x42. The HD versions were 8x42 and 10x42 (and are now marketed by Kahles as the Helia S).
Thanks John, this was very helpful.

A noteworthy distinction.

I recently received my 7x42 SLC back from a service in Absam: First Love Rekindled and am delighted with the result.
My 2003 version only has the 3-layer multicoatings plus Swarodur on objectives and eye lenses and your 1992 version would probably be the same in this respect. However, it would lack the dielectric mirror coating (Swarobright) on the prisms and an upgrade might involve additional cost.
Only you can decide if this is worth it for a few percent improvement in transmission.
Personally, I wouldn't worry. It's a classic binocular that compensates for minor shortcomings with some qualities not present in contemporary bins.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back