• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to go birding in mid July in Europe? (1 Viewer)

le1368

United States
Hello,
I'm from California, will be in Germany visiting relatives. We'll be in Dusseldorf and Recklinghausen.
My husband and I would like to do some day trip birding in Germany the 2nd week of July while we're there, then would like to go to another country for birding the 3rd week of July before flying home.
Do you have any suggestions on some good places to go? I know July can be hot, so would prefer somewhere that's not too hot.
Thanks,
LB

Welcome to BirdForum. There are potentially a wide range of options, depending on what you're hoping to see. It probably isn't the best time of year anywhere though. Places further north are more likely to be close to their peak e.g. northern Norway, Iceland, etc. You'll also get more return migration going on further north e.g. shorebirds starting to move. It can be a good time of year if you're interested in seeing seabirds. If you want to do seawatching, northwest Spain, southwest Ireland and England will potentially be good, although it's a bit weather dependent. It can also be a good time of year for seeing raptors. An area like the Pyrenees would be productive. If you've not done much birding in Europe, there should still be a lot to see wherever you go. Breeding birds will be around; they will just be harder to find.

Welcome to BirdForum. There are potentially a wide range of options, depending on what you're hoping to see. It probably isn't the best time of year anywhere though. Places further north are more likely to be close to their peak e.g. northern Norway, Iceland, etc. You'll also get more return migration going on further north e.g. shorebirds starting to move. It can be a good time of year if you're interested in seeing seabirds. If you want to do seawatching, northwest Spain, southwest Ireland and England will potentially be good, although it's a bit weather dependent. It can also be a good time of year for seeing raptors. An area like the Pyrenees would be productive. If you've not done much birding in Europe, there should still be a lot to see wherever you go. Breeding birds will be around; they will just be harder to find.
This will be the first time we're birding in Europe.
Thanks for the information Andrew.

I can't compare it with rest of Europe but the Camargue region in south of France was great, especially Parc Ornithologique de Pont de Gau. It feels like a zoo because the birds are very accustomed to people and there are signs identifying some of the birds, but keep reminding yourself they are in fact wild birds and you can enjoy seeing many birds of the region including flamingo. SAINTES-MARIES-DE-LA-MER mudflats was good for peeps. La Crau is not worth your time unless you are local.

I can't compare it with rest of Europe but the Camargue region in south of France was great, especially Parc Ornithologique de Pont de Gau. It feels like a zoo because the birds are very accustomed to people and there are signs identifying some of the birds, but keep reminding yourself they are in fact wild birds and you can enjoy seeing many birds of the region including flamingo. SAINTES-MARIES-DE-LA-MER mudflats was good for peeps. La Crau is not worth your time unless you are local.

Thanks Kylie-bird for your input.
Right now we're thinking of either Southern Portugal or Catalonia area.
We're waiting for the responses from the local bird guide before making our final decision.
I don't know which is better between those two places? Are their climates similar?

We're waiting for the responses from the local bird guide before making our final decision.
I don't know which is better between those two places? Are their climates similar?
No idea sorry. I'm from Australia. Just went to south of France last year

Fairly similar climate in the summer, I would say. Catalonia is very good for birds and there will still be plenty to see in the summer. It can be very hot, although coastal areas should be cooler. Ebro Delta is excellent for waterfowl with good infrastructure. Raptors will generally be common throughout. If you head to the Pyrenees and their foothills, you should see plenty. Other birds may be harder but will be around. Focus on birding early mornings.

I've only been to southern Portugal once and that was in spring, but it should also be good, particularly at wetlands. It may not be quite as good for raptors as Catalonia but there will still be plenty to see. You get Iberian Magpie there, which I don't think is really possible in Catalonia (although you may get them if you travel a little to the southwest).

Are there any specific species you want to see in Germany? And do you have a car available for day trips?
In Düsseldorf the best place for birding would be Urdenbacher Kämpe. But mid July is not the best time and there are better places to go to if you have a car available for day trips. Depending on what species you want to see and your form of transportation I could come up with a list possible day trips from Düsseldorf or Recklinghausen

Are there any specific species you want to see in Germany? And do you have a car available for day trips?
In Düsseldorf the best place for birding would be Urdenbacher Kämpe. But mid July is not the best time and there are better places to go to if you have a car available for day trips. Depending on what species you want to see and your form of transportation I could come up with a list possible day trips from Düsseldorf or Recklinghausen
Hi!
Also, I guess following the river Rhine from Düsseldorf more or less to the North should get you to some birding areas; i.e. around Xanten, Bislich, etc. for waterfowl, waders and what not. I have made the experience that if you´re travelling along the shores of the southern North Sea (Western Frisia to Northern Frisia up to Jutland) during that time, you might see a lot of (rare) birds as well.

Anyway, have fun!

Fabian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back