• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What kind of beetle? CT USA (1 Viewer)

Hmm. Fortunately, this was outside! I've seen cockroaches in a restaurant before and they were different looking than this although I imagine there must be different types.

Neither a beetle nor a cockroach--not even in the same order. It is a true bug, order Hemiptera. Probably a leaf-footed bug given the phlanges visible on the hind legs, which feed on plants; likely genus Leptoglossus.

Last edited:
Thanks. This is sort of interesting. There's a lot more bugs, spiders, and insects to explore in the area than there are birds!

Western Conifer Seedbug, Leptoglossus occidentalis.
That's what it looked like to me, but I assumed, without researching it, that it would be out of range. But I see now that while native to the western North America, they have found their way recently to the eastern United States as well as Europe.

Thanks. This is sort of interesting. There's a lot more bugs, spiders, and insects to explore in the area than there are birds!
Yes, almost endless diversity when it comes to terrestrial arthropods. BugGuide.net is a great source for information about, and identification of, little North American beasties (north of Mexico).

Last edited:
There's a smartphone app called Seek that I find very useful for identifying insects, flowers, birds etc.
I used it on your picture and it identified as a Leptoglossus so got it partially correct.

There's a smartphone app called Seek that I find very useful for identifying insects, flowers, birds etc.
I used it on your picture and it identified as a Leptoglossus so got it partially correct.
Yes; as you probably know, that's part of iNaturalist. You can do similar things on their website via a desktop. It is very useful for suggestions and saving time by narrowing things down. But, like Merlin for birds, you should never blindly rely on it if you want an accurate ID.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back