• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Westfjords? (1 Viewer)

Mendobirder

United States
Getting close to finalizing plans for our trip around the island in late May/early June. One itinerary has us going around the Westfjords for three days, staying overnight near Drangsnes, Isafjordur, and Latrabjarg before taking the ferry south. I know the Latrabjarg cliffs are must-see, but am hoping to get some tips for other hotspots along the route, as we would have plenty of time to investigate the region. I'm also wondering if I should spend less time there and more time at Borgarfjörður eystri?

The West Fjords is a great area of Iceland for general travel, spectacular scenery, feels remote, still relatively few tourists. Don't underestimate the distances, things are further than you think as the roads wind in and out of every fjord, but the scenery is great all the time so just enjoy. Yes, Látrabjarg is amazing, try to go there in the evening if you can as there is a good chance of seeing Arctic Fox. As for specific sites, just stop anywhere you think looks good really, there are birds pretty much everywhere in Iceland in May/June, although fewer breeding shorebirds than elsewhere due to the lack of lowlands there. There have been King Eiders in the Common Eider colony by the road in the village of Bíldudalur and there is often a King Eider at Hesteyri in Hestfjörður in summer https://ebird.org/hotspot/L1168114. If you stay at Drangsnes, the road north of there up to Norðurfjörður, i.e. road 643, is absolutely fabulous, my favourite road in Iceland in many ways, no traffic and totally stunning, but it's a dead end and you have to return the same route (no bad thing). I've cycled the length of it twice in recent years and have had killer views of Gyr Falcon both times (Gyr can be seen elsewhere in the West Fjords too). You won't gain any birds you won't see elsewhere here but it's just so lovely (in good weather...). Should you skip it for more time in Borgarfjörður eystri, difficult as Borgarfjörður eystri is one of my favourite places in the east of Iceland and very much worth visiting. But it's a small area and you won't need much time there.

Thanks very much Edward, that is helpful - exactly the sort of tips I was hoping for. The itinerary does have us staying at Drangsnes (Malarhorn) for a night, so we will hope for decent weather on the next day. We would be in Flateyri the next night so possibly a lot of driving that day.
The tour also includes a night in Bakkagerði so we would get a look around there before heading toward Mývatn.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back