• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waterproof jacket - without seams (1 Viewer)

gandytron

One of the biggest challenges for outdoor clothing in the tropics is storage - I have found over the last few years that the adhesives often used for things like taping seams in waterproof clothing often dry out, become brittle and simply flake off.

Whilst I don't use a waterproof coat in Thailand (always preferring the poncho option) I do need one for other excursions (eg birding the UK or other temperate regions of the world).

My existing gortex jacket has recently been used for two trips to the UK and the seams have completely given up, so I'm thinking about replacing it. My options seem to be to either:
a) buy a new gortex/other membrane jacket that relies on taped seams (getting an un-lined shell would seem to make sense, so that I can easily re-tape the seams myself)
b) paying out $$$ for a jacket that uses "Analogy" material (eg Paramo), which as far as I can tell does not rely on taped seams and so might avoid the problems of brittle/flaking adhesives.

Are there alternatives that I might consider? I wondered about a waxed cotton jacket but these seem rather heavy...and might melt in storage in Bangkok's climate!

Thoughts and ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited:
I have a paramo pajero and no, it doesn't rely on taped seams (to my knowledge anyway) but they are considerably 'heavier' than a goretex. Brilliantly waterproof as long as you're not forcing water through it, by eg sitting on it, not clammy like goretex can be, but much warmer. For uk birding I think the pajero is just about ideal, for Thailand I'm afraid I don't know. Think it might be too hot. They do sell the Velez light smock which I believe is more lightweight but I have no experience of it.

I have a paramo pajero and no, it doesn't rely on taped seams (to my knowledge anyway) but they are considerably 'heavier' than a goretex. Brilliantly waterproof as long as you're not forcing water through it, by eg sitting on it, not clammy like goretex can be, but much warmer. For uk birding I think the pajero is just about ideal, for Thailand I'm afraid I don't know. Think it might be too hot. They do sell the Velez light smock which I believe is more lightweight but I have no experience of it.

Thanks Craig,

To be clear, I would be anticipating using the jacket outside Thailand, in temperate climates. When it is in Thailand it would simply be stored (a poncho is a much better option for birding in wet tropical climates).

Best,

Dave

I use seam sealer on my goretex riding gear and have never had an issue. For outdoor stuff I switched over to frogg toggs 4 or 5 years ago. They can be a little stiff but so far I have been very happy, no hotter than goretex and a new jacket cost $30 or so. I replace it every couple of years and stuff the old one in one of the vehicles, this one is going in the camper when I replace it.

Waxed or oiled jackets work okay in light stuff, I think oiled works better than waxed but waxed wont stain upholstry like oiled cotton. There is a difference in waxed or oiled, waxed seems to dry where the oiled one looks like cotton dipped in oil. The biggest problems I have found with waxed is the weight and the fact that I get moisture through the stressed areas, like your shoulders or elbows. I like waxed best, brief showers it's great but if I am going out on a fishing boat all day long in a pouring rain, I take goretex or frogg togg.

Sorry Dave - sort of jumped past that bit of your post. In that case I can't recommend the Paramo enough. Mine far surpasses anything I've had before.

I too am a big fan of Paramo. However, I find the standard jackets too warm to wear above around 10C.

Below that they're great: They are much quieter than fabrics with the usual gore-tex style membrane, they're softer, and they last a very long time. They are comparatively heavy.

Paramo keep experimenting with creating lighter waterproof jackets, and I don't have any experience with the latest offerings in that area. I do also have one of their windproof/showerproof smocks and again, it's my go-to garment in situations where there might be some rain but I know it won't get cold.

I think your storage issues should not apply to these jackets since they are built around a different principle. There's no glue of any kind involved that could stop doing its job.

Andrea

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back