• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Warm Winter Gloves (3 Viewers)

Dawn_Chorus

Can anyone recommend a pair warm gloves that I can use when I am out birding during the winter and really cold spells. My fingers are like icicles during this cold weather and I am looking for a pair I can use with my bins.. thanks

Hestra or Sealskinz work for me. You really do need to try them on as I find sizing differs depending on the model/type, so buying from a bricks and mortar retailer if you can works best in my opinion.

Hi Dawn.... I can't actually recommend a make. But try and get a pair of thermals, where the first finger folds back to allow for easier fine tuning of the binoculars and/or camera adjustments.

Another idea would be to get a pair of thin cotton ones to wear inside, this will help to keep that finger warmer when you've folded the glove back.

Hi. I personally use thin merino gloves and for this I wear mitts what are windproof and waterproof. Like wrote number6 Hestra have a lot of good gloves.

Hi

I use cycling gloves as a first layer because the are fingerless, but warm, so I can use them with my bins and camera in hides. Then some big mitts over the top when I am walking about.

EDZ Merino cycling/photography gloves £14.99 on known auction site. They have rubber grips for good hold of bins and also the 'thermal' finger tips for smartphone use without taking your gloves off. I swear by these and cheap enough not to worry if you happen to leave them somewhere.

I have fleece fingerless gloves that keep me pretty warm, they are longer than standard gloves and reach about half-way up my forearm and are close-fitting on the arm and go under whatever top or jacket I'm wearing. Normal length gloves of any type leave a gap at or near the wrist and it's amazing how much warmer you feel with that gap completely covered. On really cold days I have silk gloves on as well which go under the fingerless gloves and are fine enough to enable me to focus binoculars, or even use a smartphone.

If you live near a Decathlon store, I can recommend their silk liner gloves to wear under your outer (fleece ?) gloves.
I have used them for years and they certainly work.
Unfortunately, prices have increased over time and they now cost £9.99 but I will be buying a new pair ready for the coming winter birding and rugby watching season

Users who are viewing this thread

Back